Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our DVD player has stopped recognizing discs. This really pisses me off as it's only a bit over two years old. It's a Sony DVP-S330.

[rant]
I tell you, I've pretty much had it with Sony's consumer electronics anymore -- their quality does not stand up to their reputation. I've had multiple Sony products malfunction or entirely stop functioning. About the only thing we have that works flawlessly is the PS2. So, Sony is off my list when considering future purchases.
[/rant]

There, I feel better. :)

So, can anyone recommend a decent, affordable home DVD player? Single disc is fine. I don't have an HD TV, but might get one in the next few years, so it would be nice if it could be useful then. I have a Denon AVR-2802 receiver, which has the DTS and Dolby Digital circuitry.

TIA.

·
Registered
189 Posts
the samsung is the model I have I just purchased to go with my new 50 inch HDTV It workds great, it has 4 different res settings, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i,
It is also a capable DVD audio player. Defintely a great general consumer model, with lots of options.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Samsung makes some decent stuff, the HDTVs got some high marks in most of the reviews I've read. If you plan on upgrading to HDTV in the near future, get a DVD player with Progressive Scan.

It depends on how much you're going to use it and your surround setup, though -- the $50 Walmart jobs might be fine in your case if you don't need specific outputs, etc.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I bought a Toshiba SD-5960 at Best Buy for like $200 a little while ago. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything but I like it a lot. I can't remember what I replaced it with, but my old one was three years old and it just died one day but I was ready to replace it. This Toshiba doesn't skip, it plays mp3's, has progressive scan (I think even the $50 cheapo's do nowadays too though) well here's a features list and a picture:

Plays DVD, DVD-R, CD, CD-R/RW, V-CD, WMA, MP3 and JPEG formats

Note: Not all DVD-R discs are compatible with all DVD-R players. Contact the manufacturer for further compatibility information.

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) ensures all signals remain in pure digital form when used with compatible sources

Video upconversion to 720p/1080i resolution gives standard DVDs near HDTV-quality

ColorStream Pro progressive-scan component video outputs deliver extraordinarily colorful images to compatible TVs and virtually eliminate dot crawl and flicker

Digital Cinema Progressive (3/2 pulldown) delivers smooth, true-to-film images with maximum resolution to progressive-scan TVs

Coaxial and optical TosLink digital audio output provides access to Dolby Digital/DTS tracks encoded on DVD discs

3D Virtual Surround Sound gives you simulated surround sound from a stereo source

10-bit/54MHz video digital-to-analog conversion with high-resolution filter produces maximum color purity, detail and resolution

24-bit/192kHz PCM audio compatibility delivers warmer, more natural-sounding audio from many types of discs

Digital picture zoom lets you select an area of the picture and magnify it; or increase the viewable screen area for letterbox films

Fast scan, slow motion, multicamera angle select, multilanguage/subtitle select functions

Optical digital output, coaxial digital output, composite video output, S-video output and component video output

Front panel operation with full-menu navigation lets you operate the player if the remote has been misplaced

Universal remote with TV controls

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll definately look into the Samsungs and the Toshibas.

Has anyone had any experience with JVC or Pioneer units? I checked out Consumer Reports online and JVC has multiple units getting high scores. Pioneer gets decent marks too. Of course, so does Sony :thumbdow: .

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Recommendation? Sony. :p No, seriously, our 4-year-old Sony has been very good, and is still running strong. No quality issues, even on our 51" rear-projection. But then again, no issues with my PS2, either. ;) Planning on sticking with Sony whenever we plan on getting a receiver (for an upgraded DVD player to accompany it, not for the receiver -- that'll be an Onkyo).

Oh, and don't just get something that has progressive scan and cheap out on the overall unit. The aforementioned 4-year-old Sony kicked the crap out of the free ($99 MSRP) Apex progressive-scan player we got with our TV. Horrible quality, just made worse by the rear-projection. Meanwhile, our Sony looked good, even when using normal composite cables (hadn't gotten component cables quite yet). Though of course with components it looks even better. 8)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah i just bough a samsung dvd player with a memorystick input too, it is awesome! Sony is usually the best though :poke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts