Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 glx, 85k, purchased in March. I have been loving it until this week...

2 weeks ago I let it sit for 3 days, went to start and heard a clicking noise from the dash and it wouldn't start... all the gadgets were still working though. Had the battery charged at the local parts shop, ran fine for 2 weeks.

This week I let it sit for 2 days, went to start, no response (no clicking from the dash this time). Had the battery charged again so I could drive to a mechanic. Put battery back in, no response again, these things don't work either: interior lights, pwr locks, pwr windows, pwr gas lid, pwr trunk, key remote. (All fuses are good, and battery holds a load when tested.)

Pushed the car to the corner mechanic who could only get it started by bypassing the alarm or something (he is Polish, and I couldn't really understand him).

My guess is that the computer needs to be reprogrammed in order to get the windows and locks working, however that doesn't solve my problem of what is draining the battery... bad alternator, a short somewhere, or perhaps the previous owner didn't install the proper battery (this one, from 02 seems too small).

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a competent mechanic I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.