Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you should leave the car running after you park. But, how long should I leave it running? TIA

B5 2K 1.8T
stock, 41K

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Rule of thumb I hear was for as long as the beeping of the door when it's open. For me, it's enough time to go out and open the garage door, back in and done.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've observed the turbo glowing for 2-4 minutes with the car idling, depending on how hard I've been driving it. So around town I let it idle 30 seconds-2 minutes, and after pulling off the highway or after driving hard I let it idle at least 4 minutes. I base this on the un-scientific idea that the turbo shouldn't be glowing when you shut the car off.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I let mine cool down for about a minute and a half.....longer if I been on a highway or driving hard on back roads :p

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The one time I saw my turbo glowing, it took about 2 minutes of idling for it to stop glowing. As a general rule, I'll look at the clock and wait for the display to advance by 2 minutes before shutting it off. Since the clock doesn't display the passage of seconds, the actual idle time is always between 2 and 3 minutes.

Of course I give it a little longer after highway driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts