Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this for a while, but figued I'd ask about it now :wink:

When I turn on the recirc to close the vents, a pretty loud 'whistle' can be heard until I turn the recirc off. This happens at highway speeds, and of course isn't noticeable at stops, etc. It sounds like the vent hasn't fully closed...

I've seen posts where something similar happens during cold weather, but this has happened since autumn, so I don't think the temperature is the cause. Anyone heard/seen this before?

Note to self: get Bentley manual asap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
me too

I've had the same problem since I purchased the car a year ago. With recirc on, it's especially noisy, and seems to vary with (cross)wind speed. Without recirc, it's still there, but not as loud. And it only happens at around 65+. No difference with weather changes, either.

My best guess is that there are dead leaves/debris inside of the fresh air ducts causing some sort of aerodynamic whistle. Any other thoughts?

Earl

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it again today, this time turning on recirc from a stop; same thing, though I noticed it happens at more like 40+ MPH, not only highway speeds.

Could be a piece of debris not allowing the vent to close fully, but not sure; I'll try taking a look this weekend.

Anyone know where the vent motor/actuator is located or easiest to get to from?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: anything

Variant18t said:
Any leads yet?

Earl

Nope, not yet -- I'll probably tackle it soon though, so I'll post any results I find...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
sounds more like the a/c dampers aren't making a good seal, so you get some whistling inside the cabin.

happens on older cars, or cars that have to live in extreme climates. the rubber around the dampers wear down and don't make a perfect seal anymore.

it's quite a mission to get back there and correct if that's the case....

·
Registered
29 Posts
A/C Recirc Wistle

Man am I glad I found this thread..I thought I was going crazy. I just got back from my '03 Passat's 20K service at the dealer yesterday and complained about this wistling coming from the AC..when I have it on recirc and go over 40 MPH.

These dealers will tell you anything to avoid a costly warranty repair. I spoke to the tech that worked on my car and he told me it was normal! That the flap that blocks out the outside air is designed to stay a bit opened, that for safety VW designed it to not seal completely ...(I also complained of other car's exhaust fumes coming in when I have it on recirc)..He also told me the wistling is coming from the inside..some kind of problem with the harmonics in the AC blend flaps.

Can anyone with a Bentley manual check this? Is this true? Or should I take his load of crap and make them fix the leaky flap? From what they said it's a 4-5 hour job to get in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts