Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent thread about what do you cook well, it got me thinking "ok, well how do you make it?" So, since I posted that I make bomb chili, here's the recipe, share yours too.

Jeff's Azz Killer Chili:

Ingredients:
1.5lb quality beef (your discretion on this, if you like quick use extra lean ground beef or if you like quality use cubed sirloin)
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup diced red onion (give or take on the amount, I'm not big on onions so I don't use much)
2 minced habanero peppers (seeds removed)
2 pads nopales (prickly pear cactus pads, for you gringos)
15oz kidney beans
15oz black beans
16oz tomato sauce
1 tbsp cayenne pepper (powder is fine, this is mostly for base flavor)
1 tbsp Chipotle pepper hot sauce (I use Dinosaur Bar-B-Que)
1 tsp Louisiana Habanero hot sauce
1 packet of Caroll Shelby chili base
salt (to taste, but generally about 1/4 tsp)

To prepare nopales, you need to use a vegetable peeler to remove the spine 'eyes' from the pads, then trim off the edges and the stem base before washing the pad thoroughly. Dice the pad into small cubes about 1/4" then rinse them off before cooking.

Start by browning the beef with the garlic, a dash of olive oil and a dash of cayenne pepper in a frying pan. When browned add the onion, habaneros and nopales and lightly stir fry the vegetables with the meat. You want to stop cooking just befor the onion and nopales are tender otherwise they overcook in the chili. Cover this and set it aside.

Prepare the chili base with 16oz tomato sauce, 16 oz water, the Caroll Shelby base (in a Shelby kit there are four packets: base, salt, cayenne, and masa flour. Use the base packet only.) add the cayenne pepper, and both hot sauces, then bring it to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes add the meat and veggies, then cover and simmer for another 15 minutes. Add the beans, and simmer for 10 minutes. Now, here's the big secret, when it's done, DON'T EAT IT! Put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then re-heat it. Letting it sit for 24 hours lets the flavors really come out. Serve in a shallow bowl topped with mexican cheese, sour cream, chives and tortilla strips if you like, or just eat plain.

Serves 4~5

WARNING: If you make the chili as directed above it will be seriously hot, I mean really really damn hot. But, it will be extremely flavorful. If you are a spice wimp, you may want to adjust quantities to suit your tastes. **EDIT** I should also note that you should beware of the "second day side effects" of this chili. You will not be popular with your coworkers. :wink:

Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Broccoli Casserole:

the Easy way:
1 box jiffy cornbread mix
10 oz frozen Broccoli (undrained)
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream cheese or cottage cheese
1 onion chopped
1 (or 1/2) stick butter, melted

Beat eggs, add milk.
Stir in broccoli, cheese, onion, melted butter.
Gradually add and mix the jiffy, pour mixture into 8" frying (that a Tb of butter had been melted into and swirled around).

bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

However, my sister (Carolbob) came up with this recipe for cornbread that is much better tasting:

Carolbob's Cornbread:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or marg, melted
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 t corn syrup

mix first 6 ingredients Combine eggs, milk, & syrup separately. then mix the two.

grease muffin tins, use liners, or melt 2 Tb butter in a cast iron skillet. pour in the batter once the butter has melted and bake @ 450 for 13 minutes. Standard toothpick test applies.

this make a truly kick-ass cornbread.

Now for my final trick, I suggest using fresh broccoli (instead of frozen) and mixing the two recipes to create a kick-ass Broccoli cornbread casserole:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or marg, melted
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

8 oz fresh broccoli
3 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 t Corn Syrup
1 onion chopped,
1 c grated Jack or Mozz cheese (cottage or cream cheese could still work here)
1/4 c butter
1/4 cup margarine

Parboil the broccoli, onion (we drop the broc into boiling water for 2 min, 1 minute for the onion)
mix all dry ingredients melt butter in 8" skillet, and pour in all ingredients, bake at 400 for about 35 minutes. toothpick that johnson.

yum. yum. but all of these come out of the oven too hot to eat right away. this is a good way to get kids to eat broccoli
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Bully Beef and Rice

1 onion -sliced thin
1 scallion - chopped
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
~approx 3 tbsp diced tomato
1 can Libby's Corned beef-cut up into chucks
2 tbsp oil.

Heat oil in skillet under medium heat. Throw in sliced onion, scallion,garlic and diced tomato. Heat mixture while flipping/tossing ingredients until onions start to appear clear. Throw in the cornbeef chunks and use a fork to crush the chunks futher while mixing in the ingredients. Turn fire to low cover with a plate or pan top and cook for 3-5mins. Sprinke the meat with ground black pepper. Serve with white rice.

Total time 15 mins

Fried Bologna Sandwich

2 slices of Bolgna (oscar meyer)
1 slice American cheese

Grease pan with margarine/butter/PAM. Throw in bolgna and slice the circle from the center to the edge to prevent bubbling. Fry bolgna until each side is dark red and no longer pink. Throw on a slice of American cheese and melt. Serve with white bread (Wonder Bread works best)

Ramen Noodles

Hot water
1 Cup Ramen Noodles

Pour hot water into cup of Ramen Noodles. Cover and wait 3-5 mins. Serve hot

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I invented this salad this weekend:

Red Skin Potato dill salad

You need 5 or so large red skin potatos

a 4" section of a leek

1 lime

1 cup mayonaise

2 tablespoons soaked (soaked in clean water) capers

1/2 red onion

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Olay so you cube the potatoes. I like to steam them vs. boiling. They taste better and water leeches starch and nutrients. So steam.
Cool the potatoes in the freezer or fridge depending on your time.
slice the leek across so you have thin disks
dice the red onion
chop the dill
put it all in a bowl and top with mayonaise
zest the lime onto the salad
squeeze the juice from the lime into the bowl
add capers
add salt and pepper to taste

stir vigorously. You want to almost mash SOME of the potatoes. EAT!

I also made this spinach salad this weekend:
(I don't use recipies so I don't know how much exactly to put in of any of the ingredients)

washed spinach leaves (fresh)
fine chopped panchetta (italian wine cured bacon)
scallions
2 hard boiled eggs
blue cheese crumbles
red onion

Dressing:
Reserved bacon fat
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
honey
fresh garlic gloves
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon mustard (no TUMERIC!)

Basicly cook the bacon until crispy. pour the fat into your food processor or bowl. and the garlic gloves (if not using a processor chop FINELY) add the honey, the vinegar, the mustard and the salt and pepper. Blend well. once it is incorporated start to slowly add olive oil. Once you have an emulsion stop adding oil and taste. Toss the onions greens scallions and bacon with the dressing. Top with grated egg and blue cheese. EAT!

I made these dishes to go along with a mesquite smoked and slow cooked Pork loin roast (got a new grill this weekend). Drank Sam Adams summer brew. Got really full and then nicely drunk and went to bed. :wink:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
Bully Beef and Rice

1 onion -sliced thin
1 scallion - chopped
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp oil.

Heat oil in skillet under medium heat. Throw in sliced onion, scallion,garlic and diced tomato. Heat mixture while flipping/tossing ingredients until onions start to appear clear. Throw in the cornbeef chunks and use a fork to crush the chunks futher while mixing in the ingredients. Turn fire to low cover with a plate or pan top and cook for 3-5mins. Sprinke the meat with ground black pepper. Serve with white rice.

Total time 15 mins

My recipe is almost exactly the same. However, I add in diced potatoes. Get half a potatoe. Chop them up till you get little miniscule cubes. Boil them for about 5 minutes. Add in when you add in the corned beef.

BTW, you got me hungry for a fried bologna sammich.

If you can get your hands on some, the bet grilled cheese sandwiches are made from gov't cheese.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
Mister_Rogers said:
Bully Beef and Rice

1 onion -sliced thin
1 scallion - chopped
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp oil.

Total time 15 mins

My recipe is almost exactly the same. However, I add in diced potatoes. Get half a potatoe. Chop them up till you get little miniscule cubes. Boil them for about 5 minutes. Add in when you add in the corned beef.

BTW, you got me hungry for a fried bologna sammich.

If you can get your hands on some, the bet grilled cheese sandwiches are made from gov't cheese.

LOL...if I am eating this for breakfast I will add potatoes if I am eating it for lunch or dinner I will leave it out.

I heard gub'ment cheese is the best cheese to use :lol:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
okay... super easy and quick : FUNKY CHICKEN (otherwise known as thai pepper chicken)

1. Make the sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup num-pla (fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (your favorite flav)
- somethin' hot (chillis, hotsauce, whatever level you like)
- 1/3-1/2 cup brown sugar
- a healthy amount of ground pepper
- 1/2 red pepper or 1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup wine (optional for consistancy)

Put it all in a blender and mix well

2(or 1). get some rice going depending on how many people....

3. slice up some chicken breasts into bite size or a little bigger

4. chop up some shallots and add to a good size skillet going with oil (your preference)

5. let the shallots heat up with the oil and when they are soft/transparent add the sauce (above)

6. let the sauce reduce a bit (2-4 minutes) then add the chicken

7. cook till the chicken is done....

serve on the rice and garnish with cilantro!!

I like to add some steamed peapods and apples around the plate mmmmgood but you can serve it with whatever... :wink:

bout 15-20 minutes and waaaay better than take out.... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
MRrockShow182
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing