Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001.5 1.8t Tip is approachinig 99K miles and I've done all scheduled maintenance. I want to get 300K miles out of my car. Any suggestions on things to inspect or replace?

I plan on the following:

1. timing belt and tensioner (stock vs. ECS?)
2. water pump
3. DV (stock vs. TT)
4. replace accessory belts
5. replace hoses (stock vs. silicone?)
6. flush coolant
7. alignment
8. air filter
9. fuel filter

Inspect the following:

control arms, CV boot, wheel bearings, tie rods, suspension, PCV, engine mounts, auto transmission fluid

Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 99 Passat, my control arms were making noise and replaced them @77K miles with Meyle upgraded control arms. Your car may have the upgraded control arms alreday, I am not sure what year they started installing upgraded ones. Also, if you have not changed your cabin filter you could add that to your list. I installed Meyle heavy duty tie rod ends and it made a BIG difference! I got them from www.ecstuning.com

Tom

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
BJoker, it looks like you covered everything but 1 key item.. " Transmission" If you are running a Tiptronic, then get the A/T Kit from ECSTuning and 4 Litres of Pentosin ATF-1 or Febi-Bilstein Part#: 14738 transmission fluid. If you are running a manual then make sure your get the clutch checked and flush the transmission with 75W-90 fluid.

Don't forget to check the final driveline assembly as well.. (CV-Boots and Joints)

I would buy ECSTuning's 40K Service Maintenance Kit as well as their timing-belt kit. If you have any issues with the suspension, ECSTuning is a great source for Tie-Rod Ends and Control Arms! Have you flushed your brake-fluid?? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Check the CV boots REAL close for cracks, especially around the areas where they're clamped to the axles.
Check for any cracks/leaks around the catalytic converter, turbo flanges, etc.
Check under the car for any fluid leaks, etc.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'd also replace the vacuum lines (if you didn't include that in your hoses). I second Swami's advice on the tranny. You really must drop the pan and clean out the gunk and replace filter. Your fluid is expired. (Also, it's more like 6 liters rather than 4 if you drop the pan. It's 4 if you just pull the plug and refill). You'll be amazed at the difference in Tip behavior and you'll save yourself from buying a new one. I used Redline D-4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.