Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 sedan speedometer reads about 4-5 mph faster than I am actually going. I checked this against my GPS

I called a local dealer and they don't have a clue. First they said my GPS was not accurate. Then suggested I have another car pace me and see what that one reads. :thumbdown After explaining that a GPS is very accurate, I asked what can be done to recalibrate the speedo and they told me nothing can be done.

I know in other vehicles there are boxes you plug into the ODB plug and you can recal the speedo when you put larger or smaller tires on them. I would think this would also be the case here.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
in the instrument cluster coding, there are "impulse settings" which affects how the speedometer reads.

Doesn't bother me about the speedometer.... reading slightly faster is a buffer for speeding tickets for me

·
Registered
82 Posts
in the instrument cluster coding, there are "impulse settings" which affects how the speedometer reads.

Doesn't bother me about the speedometer.... reading slightly faster is a buffer for speeding tickets for me
Does that mean you can correct it if you have VCDS?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
AFAIK all VWs (and most cars I believe) come with a 4-5% error on the slow side of speedo calibration as a built in 'safety' feature, such that when you're doing an indicated 100km/hr you're really doing ~96km/hr.

I always adjust my speed up by 5% to get real-world numbers. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
yep, this "problem" is standard for most newer VW's. Dealer actually changed my cluster out, but the real answer is that's just the way it is. On some older models it could be adjusted in VCDS, but definetly not on my 2009.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Speedometer error

Both my '06 and '08 read about 3-4 mph faster than reality. More importantly, I have clocked my odometer against highway mile markers over hundreds of miles....it's very accurate. My conclusion: VW is just trying to save us a few bucks in speeding tickets!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've asked this same question on here and to the dealer. I got pretty much the same response. Funny that they say the GPS is off. My response was that you're telling me 7 satellites tracking me are wrong and VW is right, BS. So I just set my cruise a little faster to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have put my TomTom nav unit in a few other cars (Chevy and Chrysler). It reads exactly what the speedometer reads. I put it in my Passat and the Passat is 3 mph slow whether going 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80 mph.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I called Ross-Tech as I tried to correct my 07 spedo with their Micro-Can. Their response was hell no. I think the last year it was correctable was 2006.
The reason the spedo can be off and the odometer spot on is that it has alwas been the case. Even with the cable driven spedo/odo. One does not have any interface with the other.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I called Ross-Tech as I tried to correct my 07 spedo with their Micro-Can. Their response was hell no. I think the last year it was correctable was 2006.
The reason the spedo can be off and the odometer spot on is that it has alwas been the case. Even with the cable driven spedo/odo. One does not have any interface with the other.
It`s made like this on purpose. German cars has been like this for the last 30 years or so. The speedometer is always showing 5-8 km/h more and the odometer is fairly correct. It`s because the European rules states that the speedometer can show until 10 km/h too much, but not to little. So they make them show like 5-8 km/h too much. Also because of the legal difference in the diameter in different tiresizes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a bit irritating to try to plan a trip and get to your destination on time when your time-distance instrument is out by 8% . I have owned bmw, and many v.w. Cars, and vans. And none of them have been as inaccurate as my newest and most expensive one. 2014 tdi. Has Any company been able to adjust the speedo? To correct the inaccurate instrument, I would have to put on 225/75/16 tires and there is no room for them in the wheel ,wells! It is an instrument measuring speed and time,,,,why do all the other car companies allow the car owner to decide to go faster or slower than the posted speed, by putting in accurate instruments,,and not v.w.? It’s like buying a very expensive watch that is out 6 minutes, and you can’t adjust it to the CORRECT TIME.
If this isn,t distracted driving,, to always adjust the posted speed, by running math equations in your head , to up the posted speed of 50 , 80, 110, km./ hr by adding 8% .
If any one finds an after market gadget out there or some speed sensor that will work,,,please let me know . Thanks. [email protected]

·
Registered
2009 Passat Wagon
58 Posts
My 08 sedan speedometer reads about 4-5 mph faster than I am actually going. I checked this against my GPS

I called a local dealer and they don't have a clue. First they said my GPS was not accurate. Then suggested I have another car pace me and see what that one reads. :thumbdown After explaining that a GPS is very accurate, I asked what can be done to recalibrate the speedo and they told me nothing can be done.

I know in other vehicles there are boxes you plug into the ODB plug and you can recal the speedo when you put larger or smaller tires on them. I would think this would also be the case here.

Any ideas?
Go into the MDI options and trigger “winter tire mode”... you can adjust up or down like 5%... if you don’t have the MDI interface on your wheel you can do it with vcds. If you have MDI but no option you can enable the option again with VCDS...

VW probably has to spec their speedos as if your tires are bald so you don’t sue them or something. If the tires are bald they’ll be spinning faster but if you have full tread it will be a tad bit slower.

Also, I would not necessarily go by GPS as the most accurate. It’s using a satellite(s) in outer space with very low angles. What is the tolerance of that? Even if you use a cop radar gun they are calibrated to be low (sine versus cosine measurement) to be extra sure of a conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts