Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redid a bunch of the stuff on the front end. Originally it was just to correct a clunk, but turned into more. She got new:
-tie rod ends
-ball joints
-control arm bushings
-strut cartridges (Boge)
-HD (green) strut mounts
-1 peice bump stops/dust covers
-Eibach springs (from an early typ89 sedan)

Results? Much better. No more clunk. Nice & smooth, rides BETTER even with the higher rate springs. Handling? Better. Less body roll, but now understeers easier. Will have to add a rear sway bar to compensate.

Front wheel gap:

Rear wheel gap:

Full car:

It's kinda hard to tell, but the wheel gap is about 1.5-2" less than before. It also have the ar a slight rake. Front is slightly lower than the rear. Got rid of the "sagging rear" look that many (most?) CGTs have.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Did you get an alignment done? Or how about running a little more rear pressure? The rear sway isn't the only answer to correcting understeer. Oh, and I bet the whole FWD thing plays a big factor too. :wink:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course I got an allignment. Rear pressure is set to 33PSI front to 30PSI. I'm now running stiffer springs in front + a larger than stock front swaw bar so I fully expected it to plow more...

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pics were on AudiWorld so if you weren't a member of AW, they wouldn't show up. But I've fixt it...hould show up fine now...

Oh, I also greatly reduced the plowing. Turns out I had a nail in one tire and it only had about 10PSI in it. :nervous: I checked them all jsut before going on vacation and they were perfect. Anyway, it no longer pushes like a pig, just a tiny bit more than it did before the stiffer/lower springs... :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Ah. :) Always nice to double check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts