Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2001.5 Stage1+ Motoza 1.8t. 200K-Mile High club
Discussion Starter #1
Lost my head crank gear. Due to cam sensor bolt stupidity!!! Bolt fell and broke my crank gear. thus destroying the belt and bending all the valves in my old head. 馃槀馃槀
Refreshed the head. Decked. All new seals and guides. Stock valves and springs

Gonna be installing the head tommorow.
Do i use regular oil on the Head Bolts? B9x the bolts came in claim so. Or is it engine lube? Lol. I feel dumb asking if its assembly lube also claims tightening and loosening?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3

Old head was AWM my spare head was a AUG not listed on this sheet and block is 06A

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
According to this, my cam caps are pretty much Backwards? Not sure how i managed that one? They all went on smooth no issue?

Registered
Cam caps will go on either way. It is absolutely imperative the cam caps go on the right way per the picture. Notice the orientation of the stamped numbers.
If not the cam bearing journals will not get oil fed to them.

The notches (blue arrows) in the cam caps and on the head need to line up so oil can pass thru the cap into the oil groove.

Attachments

Registered
Make sure all the threaded holes (head bolt holes) in the block are clean and free of debris.
Dipping the ends of the head bolts in regular motor oil is sufficient for lubricating for tightening.
Follow tightening procedure specifications verbatim!

FYI.
You MUST use brand new head bolts upon re-assembly. They are TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts.
Don't even think about re-using the old ones. Your head gasket will not seal if you use the old bolts.

Reactions: VDUBV

Registered
That cam seal is not installed properly.

Reactions: VDUBV

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That cam seal is not installed properly.

View attachment 101071
I already have new Head Bolts well aware of the not using old ones. I will correct cam cap orientation and yes they all are face up readable from intake side (not upside down)

Will also fix that cam seal. Good eye

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure all the threaded holes (head bolt holes) in the block are clean and free of debris.
Dipping the ends of the head bolts in regular motor oil is sufficient for lubricating for tightening.
Follow tightening procedure specifications verbatim!

FYI.
You MUST use brand new head bolts upon re-assembly. They are TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts.
Don't even think about re-using the old ones. Your head gasket will not seal if you use the old bolts.
Ive researched and ive found multiple evidence to do
Then 2 additional 90 fegreee turns to stretch the bolts

Registered
Actually, straight out of the Bentley manual:

FYI
40 Nm = 29.5 FT LBS
60 Nm = 44 FT LBS

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Re arranged cam caps. Even tho i checked. All the oil passages still lined up. either way corrected cam caps. and cam seal
Head is torqued. Everything is put together. All that is left is timing and putting the front end back together馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
You will replace the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since this was a post only about the rebuild. Less then 10K i have on a new water pump and tensioner pulley and the idler pulley
Im running the LSP custom solid tensioner. Which saves on having to replace the hydraulic tensioner if they were more worn i would replace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts