Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I just bought a late 2001 Estate (or Variant in non-uk speak), and the rear washer isn't working - I assume a hose has come off somewhere as I can hear the pump running, and the fronts are OK.

Are there any common places to look ? I'm still familiarising myself with the car and don't know where the pipe runs !

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
most probably:1, a blocked jet. Easy fix as you can pull it out of the wiper spindle after lifting up the black cap. 2, Kinked / blocked tubing. Take off the tailgate trim pull tube off motor and try. 3, Tube off washer pump, 4 knackered pump turbine (unlikely).. Also some were known to have the tube connector inside the left rear panel fall apart so the water goes inside body..fix it to make a tighter fit. If you do take the rear trim off, dont forget the two hidden screws, one in the base of each grab pocket under a tiny flap. For your safety dont forget the wellies...brgs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the pointers, I shall start my investigating soon !

On my Ibiza, and I believe many other VAG cars (Leon, Golf etc), the washer pipe popping off inside the tailgate is very very common.

One other point I noticed. When operating the front washers, I can barely hear the pump from inside the car. When trying to operate the rears, it seems quite a bit louder. Is this normal, or perhaps a clue ??

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
muddyboots said:
One other point I noticed. When operating the front washers, I can barely hear the pump from inside the car. When trying to operate the rears, it seems quite a bit louder. Is this normal, or perhaps a clue ??
I would think was because the mechanism for the rears is inside the cabin, whereas the fronts are in the engine bay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, it's leaking near the bottle somewhere as there was a big puddle under there after I tried it at lunchtime.

Any idea how I get to the washer bottle pipe connections - through the wheel arch, underneath, or from the top ?

·
Registered
26,963 Posts
From the top. If the line is plugged,the hose to the tank can pop off and the fluid will leak out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I too experienced a non-functioning rear washer. Luckily it was only a blocked washer jet. A paper clip and small gauge wire later and the gunk was gone. I was NOT seeing puddles anywhere, so it was a bit of a mystery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts