Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2014 CC with factory backup camera that had recently been giving her a “backup camera unavailable”.

My question is if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction on where the power for the backup camera comes from?

I started troubleshooting by researching online and found other sites that had people with similar message and when they checked the connector were only getting around 9 volts. The camera needs 12 volts. I ran a test with a small PWC battery and gave the camera 12 volts and upon powering up the system sure enough I got a picture.

Next I determined most of the aftermarket cameras are powered using the reverse lights in the taillight. I spliced in for power and got the same message. That effort failed, the camera must be powered up when the radio is powering up. :mad:

I looked around the trunk and found a 12 V cigarette style outlet on the passenger side of the trunk. After testing I determined it was only powered when the ignition was on. I spliced into that power and success, no message and camera works. :thumbup:

She has a working camera but I still don’t know why the car is only giving 9 volts from the normal source. I checked the wiring and it all looks good. I did notice there was a reverse camera control unit in the trunk. Anyone know if this provides the power and maybe it is the source of problem?

I haven’t found a good source for a wiring diagram and would like to solve the original issue if possible/necessary. Hopefully this thread will help someone else trying to get the factory camera to work again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jfred,

I’ve been getting the same message on my 2014 CC.

Would you mind to explain to me how did you go about splicing into the 12v in the trunk?

Look forward to hearing from you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts