Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they also have a fix. My car is lowered on Neuspeed softsports and I'm having an issue with the rear toe-in. I'm getting a nasty wear pattern on my rear tires from it and so I'm going through tires pretty quick (20,000 miles). I was told by the alignment shop that my car doesn't have an adjustment for toe in so I just have to live with it but apparently on the older models there was a plasic shim you could buy to fix this problem. Oh yeah, I have a 1999 1.8T. Anyone, anyone?

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^I rotate now every 6000 miles (every other oil change) but since I have directionals on the car now, I can't swap side to side so its strictly back to front and it doesn't seem to make much difference. The tires start picking up this pattern pretty quickly ( I have Yokohama AVS ES100s on it).

I was afraid there would be no solution but am still hopeful.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can shim it. At lease thats what we did on my 00 B5.
When I put the 18's on and droppped it, we waited for the springs to settle and then I took the B5 back for them to install the shims. they also had to put shims in there for the brakes to line up properly afterward. Cost about 200 bucks for parts and install.
If you want I can call the shop and get the specifics. :)
Matt

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MattinPismo said:
You can shim it. At lease thats what we did on my 00 B5.
When I put the 18's on and droppped it, we waited for the springs to settle and then I took the B5 back for them to install the shims. they also had to put shims in there for the brakes to line up properly afterward. Cost about 200 bucks for parts and install.
If you want I can call the shop and get the specifics. :)
Matt
I was told that it couldn't be shimmed so if you know otherwise, I'd love it if you could get me more info on this. $200 to do this would pay for itself in the first set of tires just about so well worth it. Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Call:
Specialty Products
According to my shop, the front toe is adjustable, and our suspension, (I have a V6) is the same.
The rear shim kit should be part # 75800
But dont forget you'll have to do the rear brakes as well, sorry but I didnt get that part number....
Hope this helps ! ! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MattinPismo said:
Call:
Specialty Products
According to my shop, the front toe is adjustable, and our suspension, (I have a V6) is the same.
The rear shim kit should be part # 75800
But dont forget you'll have to do the rear brakes as well, sorry but I didnt get that part number....
Hope this helps ! ! :thumbup:
Thanks for the info, I'll holler at them later today. My front toe is fine, its just the rear that's out so hopefully this shim kit is the solution.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,689 Posts
Rusty said:
00Psst said:
...( I have Yokohama AVS ES100s on it)...
I love these tires. But mine only last 15,000 miles of normal driving plus 2-4 track days. So if you're getting 20K out of them, I'd say you're doing pretty good.
I've got the same tires and same problem. :cry: Plus, I have to inflate them to 42lbs to keep them properly filled. I'm going to rotate every 3K miles from now on. :mad:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Tom Parish said:
Rusty said:
00Psst said:
...( I have Yokohama AVS ES100s on it)...
I love these tires. But mine only last 15,000 miles of normal driving plus 2-4 track days. So if you're getting 20K out of them, I'd say you're doing pretty good.
I've got the same tires and same problem. :cry: Plus, I have to inflate them to 42lbs to keep them properly filled. I'm going to rotate every 3K miles from now on. :mad:
Hmmm. Mine did fine on about 34 front, 30 rear, except at the track, where I had to go about 42/38... didja see my "perfect tire wear" post? Perfect Tire Wear - pics

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^Hmmm....I wonder if maybe I've got too much pressure in the back and that's just causing them to wear in this pattern even more so. Typically, I run 33-34 all around but maybe I'll drop them to 30 and see what that does for me.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Is the tread wear on the outside edge (toe-in) or the inside edge (camber)? Between the 2,the rear specs will shorten tire life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can have the tires removed from the rim and remounted with the other side facing outside on the rim.

Now you can mount them on the other side of the car, and you should have better rubber on the outside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.