Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Passat Wagon and my left rear tail light is out.

Brake lights work on both sides.

I pulled the TOP lamp out ( I assume that one is the tail light and the lower is the brake light) and it looks good and after checking it with a voltmeter it checks out good for continuity.

What's up with this? Is there a fuse for the LEFT and RIGHT tail lights?

I thought maybe pulling the lamp and reseating it would fix a bad connection, but the left rear tail light is still out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try a new lamp next but it checked out good on a multimeter. I got a continuity beep on my meter.

The wire harness or the socket bad?

Man, I don't need to have a wire harness replaced.

The brake light on that side works, so that's what has me puzzled.

Thanks.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...still no left rear tail light after changing out the socket assembly - $40.00 at the dealer.

New bulbs are installed.

Now I understand there are TWO fuses for tail lights. I can't determine which fuse is for the left rear tail light from the fuse diagram found on the inside of the fuse cover plate.

Can someone advise me on which fuse would be for the left rear tail light on a 2000 Passat Wagon?

Thanks.

· Registered
3,761 Posts
Brake lights are listed as fuse #13, just one for both - 10Amps. There is no separate fuse listed for tail lights.

I had three left side taillights blow out or otherwise go out in one summer. I have no idea why. Even at least one good bulb just stopped working for some reason. It really had me going nuts for a while. I think I wound up tightening the socket a bit and havent had a problem since.

· Registered
221 Posts
I have the same problem and I can confirm that it's not blown bulbs. My euro rear foglight works, yet none of the brake lights light up. I double checked and none of the modifications I have done are making this. Really frustrating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.