Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We bought our youngest son's Passat with 147K on it 6 years ago and he has about 250K on it now. Runs great and will easily go over 300K in about 2 years or so at his current pace. I am at 184K, but I doubt it will see 200K as I only drive it once a week now. I expect to keep it another 4 years, but might keep it much longer if I can fix up the interior.
I spent most of my day today scrubbing my interior.. leather interior... with.... awesome. I tried different things here and there and it worked the best. Before anyone tells me I'm nuts, it was either going to come clean or be put in the dump. LKQ in the town over has a MINT condition black leather interior. Mine is beige (which I'm not particularly fond of) So now instead of having to replace a whole interior I just have to replace the driver's seat. I told woodardhsd and another person that I'd not seen an interior as disgusting as mine even in the junkyard. I've seen pics online of interiors that gross but they were by the types of people who want the outside gleaming and don't care about the inside. For right now I'll get a seat cover for the driver's seat. There's one already on it but it's disgusting like the rest of the seats were. The person that owned this car was a real (insert foul language here) pig and complete moron. I've waited 45 years to own a awd stick turbocharged car. Anyone who'd let a car get this freaking nasty and maintain it this poorly doesn't need it. Which is the exact reason I now have it. Anyway back to the seats, after I collect enough money and find one I'll replace the driver's seat. Oh and I band-aided my flex pipe with pipe clamps and soda cans just until I get to it (yes it worked lol I took pics) because I can't tolerate it sounding like speed racers giant fart can muffler/muffler delete. More power to the people who like that stuff and if you're one of them or any one reads this and they are, no offense. To each their own right? but I like either straight stock or a very lightly tuned car. Or if highly tuned still looks factory like a sleeper. If I had plenty of money I'd put the bbs looking cross spoke type wheels on mine from the W8. I think those wheels are the beesknees on any VW. My timing kit is now on its way too and when I go to do it I'm just going to take the entire front end off. Do you think it's easier to remove the front end or work on the timing in that tight space? I have pretty large hands and am clumsy which is why I want to remove it. Here's some random pics of nasty interior and stuff messed up or being worked on, oh and of my soda can fart can delete flex pipe band aid. I'm putting a clamp in the middle tomorrow. It was getting dark and I had to fix me some food. It's 3 cans wrapped over one another. I find it hilarious.

·
Administrator
23,555 Posts
Good job.

On the timing belt, at least slide the lock carrier out a few inches. I have smallish hands and it is just too tight to get anything in the front there without moving it out from the front of the engine. You'll want to drain and fill the coolant anyway, might as well pull out far enough to undo the radiator hoses.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Will, that last picture with the sensor hanging down, it that the one you were telling me about on Sunday?

That looks like the crank position sensor. I'm surprised the car is running with that not installed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, I told Chief about it and sent him pics I think about a week or so ago and he said (if I remember correctly) that it may be a knock sensor. Also it doesn't fit in there with the teeth on the flywheel but rather in that hole to the right. I think he said the crank pos sen is lower down too. Yeah and it did indeed run without it and didn't throw a code either which might have helped Chief come to his conclusion. I agree with him though. Maybe the one with the teeth is just an exam/inspection port. Did you see the fart can delete Mello Yello package? lol! I know it's meant to flex there (I'm slow but not that slow) but I take it real easy when driving the car (and I mean REAL easy) because I worry about the timing belt. So I'm hoping I don't "torque" hard enough on take off/changing gears to crunch/twist my mellow yellow package and get it sounding back like a bumble bee on crack.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Taking the front off isn't that hard but it is unnecessary. I did that for my first TB job and it does allow a lot more access and you can really get in there and see everything, etc. However, it requires removing the main radiator hoses and they can be a PITA to remove and re-install. Otherwise, it's not much more work to pull the front completely off, especially on a 5spd. The AC condensor can just be put to the side and not disconnected. With the car in the shape it's in and with your plans to bring it back up to snuff, more access is better but do beware of the radiator hoses, they can be a bear.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
I am the odd one who prefers the tan interior, but that does look pretty nasty. I would love to find a nice clean dash and interior for my car, but I suspect I will have to replace and recover everything myself (not my idea of fun).

You are not the 1st to use a can on the exhaust, here is mine when I did the 1.8T swap, I kept the original dual exhaust from the V6:

For the axles, since they look so dry (if the inner boots are good), I would replace the outer joints with the GKN kits. They run about $75 if you shop around and are great quality.

That sensor looks like it's the old one, you can see the other one in the engine block in that picture (the holes in the trans are for the V6, which uses an external ESS). I expect the owner replace the sensor and left the old one hanging there as it's easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cool. now I don't feel so bad about the cans! lol. Hey the axles I ordered, if everything fits okay were about 115 for both of them including shipping and kid you not were here like 2 (maybe 3) days after I ordered them! Oh and my axles are so dry its unreal. I haven't gotten the "wobble steer" from them but think that if it was fwd that I would have. You can see how long its been since that grease came out and flung all over. Its caked with months and months of dirt.... if not years. I mashed my finger into it (the grease splash marks) and it's hard believe it or not. As for the sensor I think you're right. As for interior, I took the cover off the driver seat and it's gnarled all up. It's missing a chunk of foam from the side bolster and the bottom seat part is missing some leather. I wanted to puke when I noticed the bottom of the B pillar by the seat bolster (where someone has ground their body into and out of it for years) at how gross grimey and black it was with disgusting "person" contaminants all over it. Even the place near the stereo by the place you put the key in was goo'd all up with whatever biohazard that crap is. The seat belt is supposed to be beige... it's brown. It's okay though. I'm fixing it all. Mechanical first everything else later.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
The soft-touch interior coating is notorious for looking nasty as it gets old/dirty. The gray in mine looked almost black near where my right knee hits it. It can be removed, but it's a good amount of work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
PZ, before and after of my interior. The passenger seat, emergency brake and rest of the interior was almost this gross.
Oh and new cv axles work fine. Was it you talking about ordering some?
Yes I put the rest of the bolts in btw.. lol. I had to go to tractor supply and get more because 2 was missing from each side and a third was damaged on one side and they had put it in with vice grips I'm assuming and it was loose at that. So 5 bolts total. This pic was taken just after the first or second bolt. Axle nut is at 140ft-lbs + 180 degree turn and the 6 bolts your looking at were done to 33ft-lbs. That's what two different resources said but it seemed awfully light to me.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
That seat looks much better now. If you decide to swap the interior to black I would love to take it. Shipping would be a pain and I don't anticipate a road trip up there anytime soon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That seat looks much better now. If you decide to swap the interior to black I would love to take it. Shipping would be a pain and I don't anticipate a road trip up there anytime soon.
Ditto. I could use a tan center console back and a glove box.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts