Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've google all kinds of combinations and come up with nothing. When I look for "sending unit" it shows a different gasket than what came off. Idk if the last person accidently switched gaskets but the one that came off does NOT fit. I filled up the tank and found it was leaking when I went out the next day so I had to let gas leak into cake pans under the car to get the fuel level down far enough to do anything, then once I got it down I siphoned two more gallons out... 4 gallons total. I still can't tell what the hell that odd looking thing ia. I cant get it up high enough to look at it because I'm afraid I'll break it. Till I find out what this is and get this gasket, I'm parked and stuck. 2004 B5.5 Passat 4 motion 1.8t 5 speed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Will, I saw your fuel tank question in the other thread but forgot to respond. I'm not super familiar with the 4motion tank, as it's different than the FWD one. Here's a parts diagram for the 4motion tank. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in. In the meantime, I googled the part number for "1 set of fuel gauge sender" and found this: Fuel Level Sender Kit Looks like all 3 seals are included in this kit. Maybe you can buy them seperately?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will, I saw your fuel tank question in the other thread but forgot to respond. I'm not super familiar with the 4motion tank, as it's different than the FWD one. Here's a parts diagram for the 4motion tank. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in. In the meantime, I googled the part number for "1 set of fuel gauge sender" and found this: Fuel Level Sender Kit Looks like all 3 seals are included in this kit. Maybe you can buy them seperately?

View attachment 98202
That's awesome man! Where do yall get these diagrams? Can you get them on the net or only in like Bentleys or something like that? I believe the part I'm needing is #5 I just looked at the part that came off and it doesn't have the "G" on the end. Thanks so much for the help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I downloaded them here years ago. The links are dead and gone now, but I e-mailed them all to you.
Thanks much man. I'm at sort of an impasse with this part number... I can't find one with the "G" on it and when I do see something such as this: Search Results | Southwest Volkswagen It says that part # 1J0 919 133 B replaces my part # 8E0 919 133 G but when I look 1J0 919 133 B up on amazon it says "this part does not fit your car". Sorry to annoy over this.

·
Registered
872 Posts
1J0 919 133 B is the correct number. VW came out with a revised version and changed the part number. I would ignore the note from Amazon in this instance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1J0 919 133 B is the correct number. VW came out with a revised version and changed the part number. I would ignore the note from Amazon in this instance.
Thank you, Chief said the same thing about another part and not that I always think amazon is right or anything (I actually think they're wrong more times than not on car parts) but I just wanted to be sure. I appreciate it a lot and am ordering it as soon as I'm done typing. I feel like I'm annoying the hell out of yall with all my problems... especially you and Chief.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wagon? Nice car either way (y)
It's the 4 door. Interior looks like a rabid monkey went ape in it with oily paws. It's the grossest Beige interior I've seen.lol. It needs much work but being able to drive it keeps me smiling. That and hoping it snows. Here's a pic of it:

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
I guess you will find out soon enough. With a lifetime warranty, you could always swap them out. They do look like they are hollow shafts, if true, that should be a good thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess you will find out soon enough. With a lifetime warranty, you could always swap them out. They do look like they are hollow shafts, if true, that should be a good thing.
Hey PZ do you know of a good timing belt kit for my awm. I want a Continent belt but I don't know about the brand(s) of the other components like the water pump, pulley's etc or if there's a good kit out there consisting of all the good brand parts. I've asked Chief but I think he's really busy at the moment not to mention I think I've worn him completely out with questions. As much as it may not seem like it, I don't like asking for help. I do however like rambling on and on for some *reason though. lol. *(lonely hermit)Jk.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,969 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not PZ, but I favored this one. All brands listed are reputable brands. Just make sure the pump you get has a metal impeller

This one is also good. Gates is a good belt brand as well.
I've used this kit twice before. This one comes with serpentine belts, but no coolant. Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Everything else is comparable to the FCP kit.
Thanks Mike and VAGguy, Mike you remember me telling you about that orange coolant? It's called Zerex dexcool orange oat formula. Being it has the "wrong" coolant (the green stuff) in it now, do you think the orange would be ok to use with this kit so as long as I flush all the green out? I was about to reply to VAGguy about the kit he posted when I got your message. I already bought a new thermostat but I don't mind getting another with this kit since it cost so little, I'll just keep the extra one. It's the coolant where I'm trying to save. If I can use that orange coolant I have, that'll help save almost 40 bucks. Plus I need to replace the drive/acc belts anyway. VAGguy and anyone else please feel free to let me know what you guys think. I'd much rather do something the right way at the advice of others who have much more experience than I do rather than be one of those people that has to do everything "my" way.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,969 Posts
Some auto parts stores carry that brand of coolant. Ravenol, Pentosin, Febi...all the same. You just need to make sure it is specified as G12 or G12+ and fully flush the entire system, including the heater core. I would stay away from anything that does not have that designation. That would disqualify anything "Dex-cool" , "Mercon", "Universal", even if they say they are acceptable. Peak makes a european formula as well https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/peak-original-equipment-technology-european-pink-50-50-antifreeze-coolant-1-gallon-pepb53/11979621-p?product_channel=local&store=8757&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=8757&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlPLS972YeFBTAhVqe_JmCWABVt46EYQKNhc__WB1iJPjcg-wrPvdEkaAnFqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
I've been happy with the Conti and Gates belts, but not the Dayco ones. I drained and flushed my engines and switched them all over to Peak Coolant. No issues in 100K each on 2 of the 3, low miles on the 3rd (20K).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been happy with the Conti and Gates belts, but not the Dayco ones. I drained and flushed my engines and switched them all over to Peak Coolant. No issues in 100K each on 2 of the 3, low miles on the 3rd (20K).
I'm a stickler once I find a brand that's reputable, quality and recommended. I've heard nothing but good things about continental-contitech. When I go to buy something I like reading the reviews if possible. Even better than that is being able to talk to people like you guys who have used the subject of discussion. Like for example I had been hearing people say that their VW had gone over 200k even 300k. When Mike came over to code my ecu he actually confirmed this with his own vehicle that had even higher than 300. Being my car only has 110k, I'm hoping to get a lot of use out of it. After a lot of work that is. But I'll get it done as long as I have a support team like all you guys. Thank you all btw for helping me!

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
We bought our youngest son's Passat with 147K on it 6 years ago and he has about 250K on it now. Runs great and will easily go over 300K in about 2 years or so at his current pace. I am at 184K, but I doubt it will see 200K as I only drive it once a week now. I expect to keep it another 4 years, but might keep it much longer if I can fix up the interior.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts