Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- I'm going to need to do the rear pads and rotors on my 2015 SEL Premium.
I've been combing through here but can't find more details on retracting the piston; I read something about a computer or a 12v battery to retract.

I have the parts/tools list, before I take the wheel off, etc, I just want to be certain.

Thank you in advance -

· Moderator/Administrator
26,109 Posts
Yes, the proper way is to hook up VCDS or Carista/OBDEleven (the latter two are bluetooth scanners and apps) to activate parking brake retraction. I've used Carista brake retraction function on my previous CC. Same method.

Others have had luck with removing the parking brake motor and manually retracting the piston while turning it, but some have had problems with error codes once it is all hooked back up because the motor rotates a certain amount of times per use and needs to be recalibrated to the new pad thickness and travel.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the proper way is to hook up VCDS or Carista/OBDEleven (the latter two are bluetooth scanners and apps) to activate parking brake retraction. I've used Carista brake retraction function on my previous CC. Same method.

Others have had luck with removing the parking brake motor and manually retracting the piston while turning it, but some have had problems with error codes once it is all hooked back up because the motor rotates a certain amount of times per use and needs to be recalibrated to the new pad thickness and travel.
Thank you! So this step is separate than not having the parking brake obviously engaged?

Is there any advantage to using vcds over carista or vice versa?

· Moderator/Administrator
26,109 Posts
Thank you! So this step is separate than not having the parking brake obviously engaged?

Is there any advantage to using vcds over carista or vice versa?
Releasing the parking brake retracts them only a little bit, just enough to no longer make contact with the rotor. Activating the brake retraction via a program retracts the piston all the way so new pads can be installed.

Any program/app that has the feature, it works exactly the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts