Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rear rotors (warped) replaced under B2B warranty at 30K. Now, at 45K, the dealership told me the rear rotors are lipping and that I need them replaced. Is this normal or are they trying to screw me over?

I usually coast to a stop. I don't speed up to a red light and slam on the brakes. Driving is 40% city and 60% highway. Stop-and-go traffic maybe once every 7-10 days for a 30-minute stretch when I drive to Los Angeles.

It just seems like either the dealership is trying to make some bucks or the rotors were of shoddy quality. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
well it does not sound right but you might have just got the winning pick of rotors....

well if you replace the rotor do both sides, better do all around, but at least left and right.... there is a GB her for brakes pads abnd rotors as a damn good price for a great brand...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think it is a VW part quality issue. I'd buy something non-VW, like Brembo or ATE for rotors and PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads. It'll be cheaper and probably last longer.

My VW dealer did not confirm I had warped rotors, but when I replaced them myself (my time and my money for the parts) the pulsing went away. At least you got them changed for free. I had ~40K miles at the time when I noticed the pulsing and replaced them a few thousand miles later when I had time.

And if the rotors are lipping, do you have any other braking problems? If not, you don't need to do the brake job instantly. Search for a good price on the parts (Marketplace forum at www.importrp.com or www.getcoolparts.com) and a good independent, or do them yourself.

Only 15K miles for a set of rotors? Outrageous!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll probably get in on the GB and save it for when I need it later. I didn't notice any braking problems. How would you know if your rotors are lipping if you don't see them up close?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I assume "lipped' means that the pads have worn down the rotors such that there's a ridge (or lip) along the outer circumference of the rotor where the pad doesn't touch. You can't tell it's there unless you look at it or feel it. If you have alloy wheels w/ an open design, it should be easy to tell.

Passats have notoriously soft OEM rear rotors. Still, 15k miles seems pretty quick. I changed my rear brakes at about 35k miles using parts from the IRP Marketplace offer. My fronts are still in good shape. Perhaps there's a small ridge, but I'd be surprised if they're worn enough to warrant replacement already.

Patrick.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
As long as the brakes operate smoothly, why is lipping even a problem? I would keep driving until the brakes begin to pulsate or the pads are worn down to 25% or so, then I would replace pads and rotors with non-OEM units.

·
Super Moderator
14,068 Posts
Lipping is no problem until it's time for new pads. You should have seen the huge lip on my fronts when I did the brakes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have drilled rotors on the front of my 1.8t. they are a brand called S-R and i got the pair on ebay for $80 shipped. ive had them about 5k miles so far without incedent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your comments/suggestions. To think I've been driving close to 50 miles to this dealership all these years...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts