Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here installed the parking sensors (OEM type) as a dealer add-on? It's available on VW's catalog and I can't seem to find any dealer confident to install them...its their own product! On their own car!
I just need an estimate of the time and cost before ordering the kit from the dealer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed the HK distributor parking sensors. It is an easy do it yourself operation. I mounted the display between the steering wheel and the dash, ran the wire back under the dash, down the drivers kick panel, then tucking it under the door sills all the way to the back to the CD changer shelf where I mounted the computer. After drilling the holes in the bumper I just routed the sensor wires along the bumper to the left side of the car and up through an already present wiring grommet with wires leading to behind the taillight assembly. From that point it is just a matter of snapping in the four sensor wires into the computer. The whole job took a relaxed two hours. I have a W8 wagon so I don't know if it would be more complicated in a sedan that doesn't have fold down seats. THe sensors have to be mounted on the upper part of the bumper the lower bumper angle will give you false reading off the pavement.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The reason is that dealers have had serious issues with retro fitting the OEM sensors (CAN-BUS issue?) and I ahve actually seen a technical bulletin warning against doing this on my dealerships principle's desk.... Which would explain the behaviour... :suspicio:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can do a search on ebay. They have these parking sensors selling for around $90. All you need to do is drill some holes on your bumper and do some wiring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Marie said:
I installed the HK distributor parking sensors. It is an easy do it yourself operation. I mounted the display between the steering wheel and the dash, ran the wire back under the dash, down the drivers kick panel, then tucking it under the door sills all the way to the back to the CD changer shelf where I mounted the computer. After drilling the holes in the bumper I just routed the sensor wires along the bumper to the left side of the car and up through an already present wiring grommet with wires leading to behind the taillight assembly. From that point it is just a matter of snapping in the four sensor wires into the computer. The whole job took a relaxed two hours. I have a W8 wagon so I don't know if it would be more complicated in a sedan that doesn't have fold down seats. THe sensors have to be mounted on the upper part of the bumper the lower bumper angle will give you false reading off the pavement.
Marie...Do you have pics of your install? Can you provide specific details on part numbers and such? Also, did you have to paint the sensors to match your bumber? When you drilled into the bumber...how did you get to the wire inside? Maybe you can send me further details. I'm been interested in this for a while now. Is your readout LED or LCD display? Thanks.

Jimbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts