Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I noticed the rear jet nozzle of my 2001 Passat B5.5 wagon doesn't sprinkle any water. I also noticed there was water pouring from the rear lid.. So I took off the rear lid interior trim peace and noticed the small water hose was disconnected from the nozzle.. I attached it back, put the trim piece back on and then.. Alas, there was water :)

However, today the dash constantly warns me that the rear lid is open. At first i thought it really is open, so I stopped and checked... but no, it was firmly closed. The warning just won't keep quiet, it's really annoying. Of course, it is always possible that the microswitch has gone bad, but what are the chances that it breaks down exactly when I mess with the rear lid to reattach my sprinkler hose...

So, please help me out here. What did I mess up? Is it possible the water which was pumped into the rear lid from the faulty hose has damaged the microswitch? How can I test it? Which is the microswitch harness? Maybe I have unintentionally disconnected something?

And another question: Can I turn off the open doors warning with vcds? I wish the annoying warning could be stopped until I figure out what to do...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would check for a loose connection in that area - the rear actuator assembly. If that's not the case, then perhaps there is some water ingress - but if it was only for a day I doubt there is any lasting damage. Try drying things up and see if that works. Worst case is a new actuator - but if your handy with electronics you could fix the one you have.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can disable the open warnings with VCDS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some input:

I would check the wiring for obvious loose connectors or stripped/damaged cable insulation for the cables from the microswitch. You should have continuity from one specific side (color matching of cables) of the microswitch to one of the pins on the CCM, which could be measured with a multimeter and really long cables. According to https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/b5-ccm-wiring, the boot alarm switch should be connected on pin T23/4. That diagram is valid for my 2001 B5.5 sedan. I'm not sure if the microswitch is supposed to ground the CCM pin when lid is opened, but if thats the case (you could try to find a wiring diagram) and if you have continuity, there could be a short to ground somewhere in the wiring. However, I would suspect that to trigger the alarm intermittent - when driving over bumps etc.

I would also (and probably do this first) check the microswitch itself. It can fail both mechanically (not sensing) and electrically (always short or always open cirquit). For me, the sensor rod was not far enough out so it would not sense the intended movement. When I pushed the rod I realised that the electrical circuit was OK. So i just bended the rod a bit outwards and then it was fine. You can play the microswitchs' electrical role yourself by cutting the cables going into it and short/open them manually. This way you spatially separate the culprit microswitch from the circuit and if this triggers the indicator on/off, the microswitch is bad and not the wiring.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your input. After my trunk lid dried up the problem seems to be gone, so AMRandall375 you were right. Drying things up did help (hope I don't jinx it now :hmmm:)
_viktor_f_ your information was invaluable. Thank you for the wiring diagram. I would think it is also valid for B5.5 estate - I can't think of any reason for the CCM to be different. Since these microswitches are a weak spot on vehicles of this type I suppose that sooner or later I would have to face the challenge of diagnosing a faulty microswitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.