Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear stock LED brake light mod

I took a short video clip of my rear brake light LED mod. It's easy to do and looks unique. Let me know what you think. As you activate the turn signal the high brake light blinks with only the outer three LEDs. Once the brake is applied the rest of the LEDs board lights up and the turn signal you pick blinks. This light mod is all stock parts. The LEDs look orange on the video, but they are red since it is a stock LED circuit board. The video is not the best, but you'll get the idea. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and I have some big plans.

This is with the hazards on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7705295623838856556
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4768867147121239819

Left turn signal on
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5617568398111740218
Right turn signal on
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5793286545382523991
2003 passat wagon 1.8t
exhuast by Magnaflow
KN filter
Boost Gauge

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
ditto snap's response. a huge dark mess with a white blob in the bottom of the light triangle. lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
I find LEDs annoying. Regular bulbs have some cycle time (even though it is measured in microseconds) in which the bulb approaches, achieves, and then retreats from full brightness. This gives the brain time to process "ah, brakelights coming on."

LEDS are instantaneous (at least in terms of brain reaction time), which can fool the brain into thinking "Holy cow! How long have those brakelights been on?" as if you only just now noticed that the guy in front of you is full on braking.

Just my take.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
So what's the mod consist, pardon my ignorance ...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Interesting point D, we have a new bus round here with LED tail lights, these go on and off in a sweep diagonally, and it really emulates an incandescent lamp. When the indicators are on, a bottom corner LED is always on, and the rest flash at the normal rate,, but with a split second sweep as they go from off to on and back.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
[mild rant] Any flashing red or LED light on a braking B5 = red turn signal lights on a Ford, GM or Dodge.

I despise red turn signals (wtf...are your hazards on and you have one bulb burned out...it's a lot more common than you'd think for a domestic) [/mild rant]

Solid LEDs (staying on while the brake pedal is applied) are OK.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I find LEDs annoying. Regular bulbs have some cycle time (even though it is measured in microseconds) in which the bulb approaches, achieves, and then retreats from full brightness. This gives the brain time to process "ah, brakelights coming on."

LEDS are instantaneous (at least in terms of brain reaction time), which can fool the brain into thinking "Holy cow! How long have those brakelights been on?" as if you only just now noticed that the guy in front of you is full on braking.

Just my take.
Interesting point- you're right. :thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
looks pretty cool to me

gets ppls attention to your car when you are about to turn, or if your hazards are on.

i think its a smart mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here. I have a 2004 Passat Wagon. Both tail light lens are dull. Want to replace the assemblies and possibly upgrade to LED. Any recommendations on the source for replacing both sides, assemblies that have LEDs already installed? Or do I just buy the OEM/replacement assemblies and replace incandescent with LEDs?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'd get new/used tail lights from ebay, a junkyard or some online dealer. Then just buy LED replacement bulbs if you want. Be sure to get the correct part since the Passat tail light bulbs are a bit unusual since the two prongs on the socket end are not directly opposite each other but are offset a bit. Check your current lights if you're uncertain. I'm sure there is a stock # for that type of bulb but I don't know it offhand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts