Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change the lock settings on the 2002 GLS 4mo wagon and the rear hatch lock settings. I turn the key and it unlocks all the doors except the rear hatch. I can use the door switch and it unlocks it. But as soon as I open the hatch and close it the hatch relocks and I have to use the switch in the door again.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,318 Posts
I'm sure it can be programmed using VCDS. If you have one then check the RossTech site to see the settings.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Maybe coding, maybe not.
I have a running thread at the Vortex on this topic:
VWVortex.com - 02 wagon, tailgate operation (CCM coding?)
It seems that (minimally) Great Britain (and, quite likely, the rest of the world outside of North America) did NOT get the asinine tailgate locking 'logic' that we got here in the U.S. / NAR.
Still waiting to hear back from a user in the U.K., though, for some specifics on his car's CCM.

Believe me, I find how VW set up the tailgate operating concept just as head-bashingly stupid as you do.

·
Administrator
23,499 Posts
Maybe I'm easy, but it doesn't bother me one bit. That said, in the 10 years I've been here, nobody has been able to change it. Maybe it's just not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
In my 2000 ROW wagon, all doors and hatch lock and unlock together.
I don't know all the specifics but many features can be changed by re-coding the CCM with VCDS.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tom,
Since I haven't got a reply from the U.K. user at the Vortex on this yet.....
Would you mind running a scan on your car, and posting up your CCM info?

And, for reference's sake, here's a 2002 (07/2001) U.S. wagon:

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
Part No: 1C0 959 799 C
Component: 0P Komfortgerát HLO 0003
Coding: 00258
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 377D483315EB12869A-4AE8

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1C1959801
Component: 0P Tõrsteuer.FS KLO 0003

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1C1959802
Component: 0P Tõrsteuer.BF KLO 0003

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1C0959811
Component: 0P Tõrsteuer.HL KLO 0002

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1C0959812
Component: 0P Tõrsteuer.HR KLO 0002

No fault code found.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Hope this helps.

46-Central Conv.
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 28 March 2013, 00:04:52.
Control Module Part Number: 1J0 959 799 AH
Component and/or Version: 3M Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Software Coding: 04097
Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
VCID: 847B8F138703
Additional Info: 1J2959802D 3M Tõrsteuerger. FS0002F
Additional Info: 1J2959801E 3M Tõrsteuerger. BF0002r
Additional Info: 1J4959811D 3M Tõrsteuerger. HL0002H
Additional Info: 1J4959812D 3M Tõrsteuerger. HR0002r

NOTE: My car has an immobilizer, deadlocks, and an alarm system with motion sensors.

Edit: 2000 ROW B5 Passat Wagon

·
Registered
26,465 Posts
This changed with the introduction of the B5.5 wagon and I also have never seen anyone able to change it. Luckily I have a 2001 B5 wagon, so I do not have that issue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tom,
Thanks for the CCM data.
Quick question: A B5.5 wagon has an electric tailgate release. Is your B5 mechanical, or electric?

And, a request to the forum at large:
Could anyone with a B5.5 wagon, outside of North America, also post up their CCM data?

There has to be a way to make an NAR B5.5 wagon work like the ROW version. Even if it means getting a CCM from, say, England. :)

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I've seen lots of people complain about this and I guess I've never understood the big deal. If the fob didn't have a trunk button, it'd be really annoying, but it does, so I don't see why the idea that the trunk locks itself when you close it (just like any car with a mechanical trunk lock) is so aggravating. (I've never owned a car that unlocks the trunk with the doors, although I know such cars exist.) I can see how it would be handy to not lock the trunk until the doors are locked but not something to really get worked up about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nobody's getting "worked up" about it - it's just annoying.
(Annoyance level is beat only by the wife's '12 Fusion: electric trunk release. Buttons on key, and at driver's area. No button on the trunklid at all. Gets me often. :banghead: )
But, if it's an annoyance that can be solved, I'm all for it. Even if I need to swap out the CCM with one from G.B. I've seen them up on eBay for around 30GBP.

This is the first car that I've ever owned that has an 'always locked' trunk, even on a car with central locking. Ufck, my '88 Scirocco and '86 Quantum have trunk locks that are slaved to the doors!
And, BMW, too. Always. Always, if all doors are unlocked, the trunk is unlocked. Since, oh, E38 (which came out in MY95.)

So, any non-NA users out there with a B5.5 wagon, care to share some CCM info? :)

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
My car does not have a separate hatch button on the door or the remote.
It has an electric hatch lock that is operated with the key or remote.
It has a mechanical latch, which can be operated at any time while unlocked, by pulling on the lever in the hatch handle.

You could fit a ROW CCM, but I expect you would also need to fit the 5 matching Door Lock Modules and Door Control Modules, and replace the remotes.
You might also have issues with the CAN Gateway.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Okay, so B5 = mechanical gate lock.

In some random internetting today, I did glean (from a 'CCM retrofit' thread at (IIRC) ClubTDI) that the CCM and door modules do need to be of matching prefixes (e.g. 1C0/1C1, or 1J0/1J1.)
And, also in that internetting, I think I might have tripped across the answer (much thread reading was done at UKPassats.) It looks like, maybe, a U.K. B5.5 wagon got a 1C0-959-799-B CCM. Definitely cannot find that exact control unit on eBay in the States. But, a whole bunch of them on eBay UK.

That said, it would be awesome if one of our friends across the pond, with a B5.5 wagon (preferably an '02, at that) could chime in, and post up their CCM data?

Sorry, but, I have a hard time accepting 'can't be done, at all' - especially when I'm told that, in other countries, it can be done (because, that's how they got the car.) ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not a big deal, just annoying. I bought my car used, with no key fob and a Valet key so every time I need to get in my trunk I have to unlock, open the door and hit the hatch button. Once I get my key fob and a regular non-valet key I will be good to go. Most cars you can change the lock settings to unlock all doors with the key, VW is different on this and many other things :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
So, from over at UKPassats.co.uk: UKpassats.co.uk ? View topic - CCM info request (tailgate operation)
It looks like they helped me out (eventually.)
U.K. B5.5 wagons got a 1C0 959 799 B CCM; theirs has the tailgate logic that we'd like.
But, the U.K. uses 434MHz remotes (as opposed to NAR 315MHz remotes.) So, one would also need 434MHz remotes (part# 1J0 959 753 DA), to go with the U.K. (possibly ROW) CCM.

I'm thinking about it....... :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
So, bringing this back from the almost-dead. (I'm also cross-posting this at the Vortex.)

I (finally) had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison between the U.S. and U.K. wiring diagrams for the B5.5 wagon (U.K. diagram was courtesy of UKPassats.)
There are a couple of differences! And, I'm wondering if these little subtleties are what make the CCM know to use the NAR or ROW logic.

ROW:
the rear lid grip handle is grounded thru a switch in the hatch lock cylinder (F124.) When the lock is rotated to 'valet', both this circuit, and an additional 'signal ground' to the CCM (at T23/4) are broken.
The F218 "switch for central locking, trunk lid" that we got on the NAR cars is not used.

NAR:
the lid grip handle is grounded thru the F218 switch in the tailgate latch. No lock cylinder switch.
F218 has a ground-signal switch, too, wired to CCM T23/13. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the switch that tells the CCM that the gate latch is "not closed", to allow the lid grip to operate the gate if you 'kinda-closed' it.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'll get to testing this on my car, when I get the time. If anyone else is equally daring (or, has more free time), here's my proposed experiment.
Pull the wire from T23/13 (eliminating the NAR-specific part of the gate control wiring.)
Ground T23/4 (basically, telling the CCM that the gate lock cylinder (which we don't have) is NOT in the Valet position.)
Alternately to pulling the wire from T23/4: Disconnect the F218 switch at the gate latch, and bridge pins 1 and 3 at that connector (so that the grip handle still functions.)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Larry, I don't mind that it's an electric release (nor do I think that most of the people chiming in with the 'it sucks!' do, either) - hell, an electric release can do tricks that a mechanical release can't. And, it's also mechanically simpler.
Issue is with the logic that the NAR B5.5 wagons got. But, we're working on returning sanity to the cars. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
It CAN be changed!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Tools needed:
VDS-PRO
MS-DOS bootable flash drive (I used Rufus to create it)
Laptop with serial port
serial-OBD cable

Memory addresses to change:
address old value new value
04370 6 4
04371 6 4
04372 6 4

04352 41 105
04353 41 105
04354 41 105

Credit for this does go to ReflexJettaVR6 at PassatWorld - it was his thread that I pieced the info together from:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-garage/346503-yet-another-ccm-issue-thread-now-more-trunk-release-action.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts