Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the thread on how to do the integrated rear fog on the b5. Does anyone have any idea what is need to perform the same mod on the b5.5? I just bought the Euroswitch and would really like to get everything up and running.

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, rear fogs on a B5.5 are possible. There are at least two methods. One involves keeping you OE North American rear bulb holders and some soldering. The other method involves purchasing European rear bulb holders and no soldering. I chose the latter. There are good write ups on this, try searching using "rear fogs".

·
Registered
882 Posts
It can be done on the B5.5 Hate to tell you to do a search (I have problems with that myself) but I'm going to have to. I think I remember something about using a diode. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
778 Posts
According to posts by others here on CB5, in Europe, Volkswagens only have the rear fog on one side but that other car manufacturers put them on both sides. Hence, many CB5ers only hook them up on the one side. I activated both right and left on the theory that more illumination is better when you are trying to stand out and be seen in inclement weather.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, now that we have determined that it can be done, can someone give us a heads up as to how to do it. Currently I have just the Euroswitch...still a newbie here...only had the 4mo since May 10.....any help would be great....

PLEASE!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
RL, you love pimping JROO's pic, don't you? :lol: :lol:

That gives you both sides: top has the US tail that's been modified, bottom has (tinted) Euro tails with the built-in support (I'd say plug-and-play, but it's not really.... just no soldering ;)).

Or you could just do the wiring for the rear fog, but leave your US tails in with no modifications, and you get three "rear fogs".........

.........your brake lights! :lol: :lol:

(Did the wiring before I got my Euro tails, and just for the heck of it, I decided to activate the rear fogs on the Euroswitch, to see what would happen. Lo and behold, my brake lights blazed forth in all their glory. Take that, tailgaters! :D )

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
4mo4swartz said:
ok, now that we have determined that it can be done, can someone give us a heads up as to how to do it. Currently I have just the Euroswitch...still a newbie here...only had the 4mo since May 10.....any help would be great....

PLEASE!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Here's a link to instructions on how to modify a US B5 tail, and to wire up the Euroswitch (or US switch) to the tail(s): http://users.adelphia.net/~maestro862/rearfog.htm

If you buy the Euro tails, you don't need to modify the tails (bulb holder in your case, I believe) at all, but it'll tell you how to get the wiring done from switch to tail. Then it's just a matter of swapping out the Euro for US tails, and you're done. The wiring and swap is a pain (lots of trim to remove), but a pain for you means saving at least $200 at the dealer, I'd expect.

If you want to stick with your US tails, then RL should be able to point you in the direction to go in in order to modify your tails to light up properly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Just wanted add that I have the US spec lenses and the Euro-spec holders so that is why mine is a little different than the other 2 pics. There are several combinations you can do but the easiest is by far getting just the Euro holders and running the wire. Actually, after seeing all you boys with the Euro lenses I too gave in to Gurft and his evil GB.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yeah but has anyone here successfully done this on a Variant B5.5 as I hear the wiring/holders are different. Something like cutting a wire and your done. Can anyone confirm this? I already have the euroswitch installed but don't have the soldering tools but would like the rear fog for sure. :???: :???: :???:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
leadfoot said:
Yeah but has anyone here successfully done this on a Variant B5.5 as I hear the wiring/holders are different. Something like cutting a wire and your done. Can anyone confirm this? I already have the euroswitch installed but don't have the soldering tools but would like the rear fog for sure. :???: :???: :???:
Yes, there was a long thread about this a while back. The Variants already come with the Euro holders, they are just bridged with a wire, cut the wire and viola - you get the Euro-spec holder and run the wire - that's at least what the thread says.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.