Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yay or nay?

i'm thinking a set of QSD164's in the rear doors...from what i've read, running two sets of components will screw up my imaging...:(

recommendations?

i'm looking for another pair of Quarts to go w/ the Q's...

TIA!

PS. I like midbass :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm sure the 164's will work fine... a bit expensive for my own taste, but everybody's different!

You might consider just running some two-way coaxials in the rear. It would give you close to the same effect yet still provide some highs for the rear.

Since you're in the market for the MB's, have a look at the QSD216's (a bit pricy, but nice).

What kinda setup are you running (HU, amps, subs)?

Chris :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clarkccc3 said:
I'm sure the 164's will work fine... a bit expensive for my own taste, but everybody's different!

You might consider just running some two-way coaxials in the rear. It would give you close to the same effect yet still provide some highs for the rear.

Since you're in the market for the MB's, have a look at the QSD216's (a bit pricy, but nice).

What kinda setup are you running (HU, amps, subs)?

Alpine 7969 HU
Alpine PXA-510 EQ/DSP

JL Audio 300/4 - Bi-amped to feed a pair of MB QM218.61's.
JL Audio 500/1 - Subs.

2 JL Audio 10W6V2's in a 1.5cuft sealed enclosure.

I didn't really hear much a difference between the 216's and the 218.61's..so I opted for the 218's instead. I figure the 164's would complement them nicely...the midbass response on the 218's is astounding...looking for more of it in the rear doors.

If I pick up those, I'm not sure which amp I'm going to get to power it though.. I might just upgrade to the 450/4 and run the 218's straight and run 75w/ to each channel of the 164's...

The other thought was a set of either Premium or Q coaxials...*shrugs*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clarkccc3 said:
Well if money is an issue, take a look at the coaxials... they'll be much cheaper and to honest with you, you really don't need a really powerful speaker in the rear.

agreed...i've read a lot of people even going w/ the reference series ones...as they're not going to be fed much juice..

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Unless you plan on fading to the rear a lot don't bother with really high end rear fill. If you're going for a 5.1 setup then go with something nice, but again, nothing over the top. In either system the rear should sound like a reflection or will be used for effects, not music or voice. I also wouldn't feed them too much power. Unless you want all of your amps to match I'd look at the JL e2150.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
My opinion, rear fill is just....well fill, think of a home system.... How many have loud rear speakers??? I've never used rear's before in any setup I've had. Splits up front with a clean amp(ppi,soundstream,xtant,mcintosh,carver,etc) will be fine matched with the splits. Or you could always make a custom center channel :lol:

-chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WGN99 said:
My opinion, rear fill is just....well fill, think of a home system.... How many have loud rear speakers??? I've never used rear's before in any setup I've had. Splits up front with a clean amp(ppi,soundstream,xtant,mcintosh,carver,etc) will be fine matched with the splits. Or you could always make a custom center channel :lol:

-chris
yeah, as paul had mentioned...going w/ a 5.1 setup is an option..just not feasible at this time...i'm umm..kinda missing the iva-d300 to WATCH the movies ;)

maybe in the future though...thx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.