Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked for previous posts but didn't find what I was looking for.
A 20 yr old runaway texter in Honda SUV slammed into rear right as I was waiting to make a left. No pics right now, but he was doing 55 anyway. Car and I were sent about 40 ft. I'm a ball of clenched soft tissue. He's fine. I travelled to Burlington, Vt a few weeks ago to buy this car, which is what I was looking for. Dentist owned, dealer serviced, 1 owner, driven 3k annually. Not a hint of oil anywhere. What a pleasure to be driving Vw/Audi, again and thanks for forum.

I'll get a better look tomorrow, but rear quarter is demolished, with wheel hub now at a about 11:00. Anyone have similar experience? I'm putting together a list of what I believe needs to be replaced, which includes:
a) rear right quarter
b) wheel hub with bearing
c) tire rim and tire(s)
d) bumper cover and bumper
e) rear hatch
The unibody is pushed into rear space a few inches. Is it unibody?
Can't imagine I can trust the axle.
What would you be on lookout for? What would you demand insurer pay for? I'm not playing the "you'll take what we give and like it" game. This is all on other party's co.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,180 Posts
With unibody damage the car is certainly totaled. Since you recently purchased it, you may be able to get what you paid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is other driver's policy in NYS. Geico is going to pay repair cost, not what is cheapest way out for it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hope your soft tissue injury has no long term effects.

I went through this with my wagon. You stated that Geico will pay for the repair cost, but keep in mind any insurance company will not pay for repairs exceeding the value of the car. They rather pay the value and total it. The value can be negotiated. If you have a contract of what recently purchase the car for, you can used that. If it so happens you purchased it at a great deal and the car is worth more, then you need to arm yourself with researched ads for similar cars for sale on the interwebs with the price you think is fair.

Regarding your car and by your description of what happened, I think the insurance company will total it…. Unless your pictures show otherwise. If the airbags deployed, they will definitely total it. Now your options are to negotiate a buy back if you want to keep and repair the car. Or take the max value of the car and have them take it and auction it off to the wreckers.

If you decide to repair it, there are no new right side wagon (I assume it’s a wagon) quarter panels available. Nor are there any new inner structure panels. I know this based off of my repair of my own car. The repair will now involve salvaged rear sections, which may or may not be something a body shop would be willing do. Of course you can do it yourself if you have to ability.

Regarding your rear axle concern. The rear suspension on a 4 mo is all connected to a sub frame. If your sub frame mounting points have not shifted and are in the original position, you can bolt up a donor subframe complete with control arms, hubs and other stuff you want to include like differential, axles brakes etc. If the roofline is straight, along with all the doors open & shut well and have good even gaps, you probably could drive the car if nothing else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for feedback. Sounds as if NYS compels insurers to provide real world relief. I have car at a dealer recommended shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess that is kind of cryptic. Co. must repair, replace with like vehicle, or pay for latter. It can't just pay KBB, which is half of today's market value.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would of think that's normal operations for all insurance companies in every state. As I said earlier, be armed with current for sale ads with the price you think is fair just incase you need to go to battle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Expect Geico to be a$$holes who will try to blame you. My 91 Civic HB was rear ended and totaled while I was at a stoplight, and they spent 6 weeks insisting to my insurance that I had thrown it into reverse and slammed into their customer.

·
Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat GLX
26 Posts
Good luck, hoping it won't be too much of a worry for ya. I was just t-boned on Dec. 12th by a driver who was believed to be on the influence and without insurance (unfortunately didn't find out insurance until a week after.. claim denied). Car was totaled, airbags deployed. My insurance covered it and paid market value in this crazy market... KBB and then some. 2012 Passat 3.6 SEL with all the options.. 80k miles. Had all my tools in it, hundreds in damage, still trying to recover those costs. Definitely agree with DeliveryWave on being armed with sale ads with the price you think is fair.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Expect Geico to be a$$holes who will try to blame you. My 91 Civic HB was rear ended and totaled while I was at a stoplight, and they spent 6 weeks insisting to my insurance that I had thrown it into reverse and slammed into their customer.
It's quite possible the other party claimed to be not at fault and the insurance company was just siding with their client. Makes for a complicated mess if there are two different stories and the truth needs to be flushed out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Guess that is kind of cryptic. Co. must repair, replace with like vehicle, or pay for latter. It can't just pay KBB, which is half of today's market value.
I sure hope that is the case. My friend lost a Toyota Rav4 Prime in the recent fire here near Boulder. He's trying to find another one and the dealers that have them in stock are asking $10k - $20k over MSRP. Or he can order one at MSRP and wait 4-6 months.

The good news is that he met with the insurance rep who set up a desk in town. Turns out she was trying to buy one for herself so she knows the situation! Hopefully the company will do the right thing by him.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
He's trying to find another one and the dealers that have them in stock are asking $10k - $20k over MSRP.
I can only speculate as I'm not in that situation, but if dealers are asking that much more than MSRP just because they can capitalize on an entire community that's needs everything all the way down to sheer basics, well that's just 'efing wrong.

It's one thing if only 300 samples of a car are produced and everyone wants one, but for an everyday vehicle, c'mon now.
Corporate conglomerates should step up to the plate, just like they boast how good they are for all mankind with all their climate initiatives and donations.
Sorry, rant over. Carry on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Concern I had/have is use of substandard parts, especially steering/suspension. Most of us have learned that lesson. Also, that things needing repair will be overlooked.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I can only speculate as I'm not in that situation, but if dealers are asking that much more than MSRP just because they can capitalize on an entire community that's needs everything all the way down to sheer basics, well that's just 'efing wrong.
Community support has been amazing, this isn't a case of people screwing the victims. The Rav4 Prime prices are nation-wide and they were like that before this all happened. He bought the one that burned in Rhode Island since it was available and at 'only' MSRP. Supply is even tighter now.

No biggie but I wanted to clarify that since it looks like I wasn't really clear. Of course, that isn't his main concern at this point, just one of very many.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe Vw/Audi prohibits dealers from such gauging. I've been in a VW dealership for parts lately, and the list prices didn't have such adjustments. Makes me wonder why anyone would pay $50k plus for a Toyota when an Audi could be had.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Compare KBB’s private party value for a 2001 4 Motion with 100K miles vs the ads of cars for sale and you’ll see it’s pretty close. Remember, many ads are from dealers, who charge higher prices, meaning they are the preferred ads to use when arguing with insurance.

I think you’ll have a hard time convincing them it is worth more than 5K.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts