Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car recently got rear ended, estimates for body repair are around $5,000. The other driver was at fault, and all damages are being paid by his insurance. To see more about the accident click here:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81243
After driving the car a couple of times (a 30 minute drive back from impound, and a couple of 15 minute rides), it starts throwing a CEL- "Emission Workshop."

The guy at the body shop says this happens all the time with rear end collisions. He explained that the exhaust system can get messed up, or the O2 sensor can be broken. But, it seems odd to me that this problem wouldn't show up the first time I drove the car. Does it seem like that sort of problem would take several start and stop cycles to throw a CEL? Any other possible causes spring to mind?

The body shop guy is saying to bring it to him and he'll fix it, or if its too complex, he'll send it to the local VW dealer. I'm a little nervous with this guy doing work on the engine since he's a body guy and not an engine guy, and not an VW guy (Does a lot of mercedes though). However, he seems like a good guy and it would be very convenient. What do y'all think I should do?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the feedback.

The body shop guy said they woundn't run a diagnostic until after they'd completed the body work. Seems to me it would be worth running it first to see if it turned up something that was best dealt with when the quarter panels are off. Thoughts?

That's the most important questions. But I'm also interested in evaporative emissions. Is this the system that controls evaporation from the fuel tank? I'd love just a brief description of the "charcoal canister" and the "fuel tank loop." Shoud the body shop guys be able to easily see if there is a problem here once they've removed the quarter panel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.