Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted some advise. Car (2002 1.8T 5MT) got rear ended. it has 170,xxx miles on it.in the last 12 months or so the Car skipped a tooth on the TB and bent an exhaust valve, had power steering issues. Both fixed in the last 12 months, and, with other things its easily been $3,000 i put in the car getting it all nice n clean and running good. Also got exhaust (LOVED IT) Got the head rebuilt (1 exhaust valve was bent, gaskets, TB & water pump). Got the power steering pump/belt replaced with tensioners etc control arms bushing and stuff (drove really nice after this). Car has a tune, suspension, exhaust, well maintained. The cars interior is in amazing condition and was the selling point when I bought it. Anyways insurence company will give me $3,800 for new car, or, $3,100 and the car. But idk about frame damage and etc. to fix the thing. They called it a total loss.

Just dont know what to do. wanted to really go crazy with this car at 200,000 miles. but that dream is not lookin so good...

Appreciate your opinions and advise.

:(:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Good advice from sirwired to get a look at the adjuster's report.
Can you post any pictures of your car with the damage from the accident?

You really cannot base your decision on what you have spent on the car or the mods you have made. A car is not an investment, well most cars. Even with collector cars that get frame off restorations the owner looses money a lot of the time when they go up for sale.

If the interior and other parts of the car are in great condition take the $3100 and the car and start looking for another Passat. You can then either use the injured car as a donor for the new one or part it out and make more than than the $700 difference in the settlement. Heck, look for one that has a blown motor but the body is in great condition that you can get cheap and drop your motor in it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SirWired, 2002GLXV6. I really appreciate the advice.

I apologize for late reply or a dead thread. I did read both these and thought I replied but doesn't look like submitted it.

update:

Took SirWired's advise asked for their initial repair estimate from the body shop, and, a breakdown of how they valued the vehicle. Insurance rep. on the phone was a little reserved about answering some of my questions but eventually with very specific questions I got the information that I needed. I basically pointed out theses things to her after understanding the process:

-The estimate that was done on the initial repair quote was done in the parking lot of the auto body shop with a clip board and pen.
->yes
-Any other repair estimate performed?
->no
-Was the car ever put up on a lift?
->no

-How can we confirm that all of the damage on the repair estimate is actual there, and in need of repair?
-If the vehicle was not put on a lift I'm a little concerned how the condition of the vehicle was determined?
-Pointed out the repairs, and how those common maintenance issues can make or break the value of the cars in this price range. Pointed out examples were it made a 3 or 5 thousand dollar difference with two similar used cars of similar make/model/yr/millage/condition.

The result, I was allowed to submit receipts and repair invoices from the last 12 months. Only things that would greatly increase the life and value of the vehicle. New value of the vehical is 4300. Just going to furiously take a check :( My lease is up soon and... currently No Job, No money, No car. I cant sit around and banter back and forth with the insurance companies I gotta make some moves. Unfortunately I just cant give all the TLC (and also cash) that would be needed to make the car and check-for-parts-car thing work. Will let you know after I figure out what the hell to buy.

Thanks PW and sorry again for late response. Actively seeking Car,Job, and, place to live. Im exhausted and absent minded by the time I'm home and on the computer. Much love passatworld

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Depending on the hit, even some frame damage may not be enough to make the car un drivable, just ugly. As long as the rear beam, it's front mounting points, and the shocks are not bent, you'll have zero drivability issues. You can verify that by taking your car in for an alignment check. I banged up the back of my car and it is still drivable, just ugly. Do what you have to do with what you have and just lower your expectations for perfection (that's what I had to do at least.) Keep the car, take the check, make it work, and figure things out. More priorities for you then a show car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will keep you guys updated! and thanks Steve!!

Skurtov, I sent the title today but things are still in process for the next 4 or 5 days.

Vbora The steering wheel was off like between 100 and 180 degrees (0_0) and the back passanger wheel was totally effed. Spinning off axis, not feeling connected, the car went from feeling planted and decently firm, but after it was a 68 Cadillac with original suspension haha didnt go over 15mph. Bacically the very front drivers side corner of a Merc hit in the very back passenger corner of my car. chipped and chunked up the wheel.

ALSO the wheels on the car was... a HUGE value increase of my car as they were factory A4 titanium package wheels with OEM P/N and stuff. Got them for a decent price (wayyyyyyy better than dealer price) and added almost 1,000 dollars to the value on their own :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.