Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2002 Passat 1.8T about a month ago. This weekend when noticed that when the rear door on the drivers side was opened, the chrome trim in the middle of the door was catching on the front door (which was closed) and proceeded to bend itself backwards and off the car. So I tested the passenger side and it did not mimic the behavior at the time. However a few hours later when we went out, I went to open the passenger side rear door, and watched as the trim did the exact same thing. Now both sides are bent and we are taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to get them to look into it. But I thought I would ask around prior to taking it in to see if anyone else has had this happen? Is it common? Reasons why it hasn't done this for 3 weeks, but decided to happen on both doors in one day?
Thanks,

fcg6x

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know if it's common, but it happened to me a few months ago on my 2003 Variant. Mine was the passenger side rear door. When the chrome bent back, it then continued to rub on the front passenger door edge every time it was opened or closed - check to see if any paint has rubbed off the edge of your front doors and have them touched up too. Our dealer replaced it with no questions asked, but could not give an explanation as to why it might have happened. He suggested that maybe a coat hag snagged the edge of the chrome, and pulled it out a bit, then when the door was opened it bent back. Not likely.
They replaced the entire trim piece, which was painted body colour - not just the chrome strip in the middle.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
a few ppl have had this happen. i feel a recall coming :nervous:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it might have been the coat thing or something else like that snagging the driver's side when I checked it out. But like I said, I immediatly tested the other side a few times and no problem. Then later that night, I watched it as it happened on the passenger side while I was standing outside the car. Its odd that it one moment it was fine on the passenger side, and then later it happened there too.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe our cars are slowly shrinking.

I'm going to check out mine tonite. :nervous:

-Craig

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe I'm jinxed. This happened to me again - 2nd time on the same door: passenger rear door. Happened the first time back in January.

I don't understand how it happens suddenly, maybe the front door is open slightly when the trim catches, but its a real pain.

Gotta call the dealer again today to get them to order the replacement. Maybe it should be mounted back a little further on the door.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nah, it happens pretty frequently.

I had it replaced once under warranty, and it did it again 2 yrs later. get it fixed soon, or it will start peeling back the front door trim too.

All i did - get some double-sided adhesive tape for body mouldings at a auto parts store. Clean off the surfaces (I sanded the backside of the moulding too). Clamped it and it's been sticking so far.... even the wrinkes in the paint aren't too noticiable. That's the cheapest route.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This time around, the front door piece got lifted too because after it happens you have to always remember to open the front door first before opening the back door. Well one time somebody didn't and so the front also has to be replaced.

If this is going to happen regularly, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Anybody want to guess how the door can open fine for months on end and then suddenly catch the front? No door dings to have bent the rub strip or anything. :crazy:

·
Registered
262 Posts
It happened to me on both sides. :mad: It occurs when both the front and rear doors are opened at the same time at a certain angle. Both ends of the mold should have been shaved or chamfered to prevent this from happening. It really sucks :mad: since the paint peels off at the bend. :b5:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I think you are right. It is very likely that both my front & rear doors were being opened at the same time. I'll have to make sure that we watch out and plan the opening & closing of doors now! Stupid design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
VAG Mark
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing