Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a rattling sound coming from their rear deck lid in their passats? I have the sun shade and I can hear a rattle coming from that area whenever I hit chatter like bumps or large road reflectors in the street...kinda annoying...is there anything I can do or anything any of you have experienced with it? It's the last thing I have to overcome to have a silent ride.... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you have the Monsoon? If so check to make sure the amp is secure (rear right package tray). More than likely this is your rattle. It is the amp shifting around. It needs to be re-secured.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My girlfriend had a problem like this tooon her '99 B5. It seemed that her rear deck was rattling everytime she went over a bumb. Upon closer inspection she was just able to simply hear her license plate frame rattling in the car. This may not be your problem, but i thought I would share if it may help.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the monsoon....havent checked the amp...I did however check the guard around it and that seemed to be secure...I did crawl into the trunk and pound around a bit and seemed to duplicate the noise when I hit the underside of the decklid...not the amp region. I will check to make sure, but it seems isolated to the decklid.

-cbx

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No stuff sliding around in the trunk...I can duplicate the sound by pounding on the underside of the deck lid with the trunk open...it's really annoying.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
it can also be your deck It has 2 fasteners in the front, they punch into the deck and then clip onto the metal frame of the deck. Once the faster is seprated from the deck, you cannot secure it back, so maybe you need a new "fastener" .

This likely may NOT be your problem but....
This was my problem, since I removed my deck to remove to remove the monsoon amp when doing a stereo upgrade.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm...I checked my amp and it feels tight. So I will look for that...where are the fasteners exactly? Are they visible from inside the trunk or are they only seen or accessed when the seats are folded down?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
There's a few places to check. I have two 12's in my trunk and the ratteling was starting to kill me. As stated above, the fasteners can come undone, that threw me for a while trying to figure that out. Usually your license plate will not make that much of a rattle from just going over bumps. I'd check the fasteners or the locking mechanism in the trunk itself, that thing can rattle a lot.
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
you fold the seats down and they are just under the deck. Im not sure if they are accessable from rear with seats up...they are rather close to the seats when the seats are closed...hope you get that...I cant stand a car that rattles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
AnthroSSAT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing