Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slid into a bridge yesterday, main point of impact was the driver's side rear corner, first slighter impact on driver's front wheel. Probably going about 30-40 mph at impact. Side and seat air bags deployed, but car was actually driveable afterwards.

Any specific experience on rear end damage like this? Alignment issues or any specific components to make sure they check beyond the obvious damage?

I've had enough past experience in dealing with body shops/insurance companies to cover that end of things. Like a stick in both eyes. Last claim I also had a VW dealer service area involved, I hit the trifecta!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Oh, man! Sorry to hear the news. The only thing I can think of is to check the whole body and rear axle against the specs to see if it's been tweaked by the impact. Was it a glancing impact, or dead on? Glancing blow, maybe doesn't need anything special.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Some photos would help us give you an "appraisal"/"estimate". Preliminarily I can tell your car needs a lot to get looked at.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, if it didn't hit the suspension, then probably a few thousand, if it was just a glancing blow. hard to say w/o pics. i was rear ended smack center on my old car ( 00 Solara) probably around the same speed, and the car was totalled.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't have the rocks to take pics before it went to the body shop today. I'm comfortable with the shop manager and technicians, it's just the office staff that's a bunch of bobbleheads. I'll get some idea on estimate tomorrow. The main impact was on the point of the driver's rear corner, which I hope helped distribute the impact. Trunk lid won't quite latch shut once I opened it, but the rear door opens and closes fine and the gap is consistent with the passenger side. The strut didn't break and I don't have an ABS light on.

Thanks for the tips and any more to follow. Any help on alignment, suspension and structural stuff is great. I'm good with the engine, turbo and tuning sides, but a little fuzzy in these areas. Slight good news is Enterprise ran out of mid size renters so they upgraded me to a Maxima 3.5 with a tiptronic type tranny. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sorry to hear! :( Hope fully you didn't bend the frame! I got rear ended in my old car and bent the frame, so the trunk was slightly off! Good luck with it! :)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I've talked to a few people about the shop the car is at and they are very particular about frame alignments. They can recommend total loss on a car based on the fact they just can't get it back within specs and the German brands seem to have particularly close tolerances.

I'm already scouting for used 2001, AUG engine code, 5 speeds, just in case its a total loss. The major pain is stripping the long list of mods off the old car to get onto the new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts