Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, when i was backing out of my parking spot, i felt a slight bump from the behind. I realized i had hit a dumpster, but the bump was so subtle that i didnt think twice about it.

Today, I look at my rear bumper and there is a friggin' hole in it!!!

The dumpster somehow pierced the bumper and caused a slice mark through all 3 panels of the rear bumper.

I've called a body shop my dealer recommended, they are quoting me 900 for parts paint and labor.

Is this what I should expect to pay for this hole? I understand it cannot be patched.. but 900 dollars... ARG!!!

:eek:

Aaron

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yeah, that's about what I was quoted for a replacement rear bumper cover after a hit&run incident.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just got rear-ended recently and am also searching for a new rear bumper (cover only did no damage to the internal bumper), luckily i work with a few good local body shops on a regular basis. Anyway this is what I have found out the actual bumper cover lists for approx. $340 body shop cost is around $180. They figure around $200 for paint, materials, & labor, then you have to figure in about 3-4 hours R/I time @ $42/hr. Your estimate of $900 sounds like its in the ballpark especially if they are replacing the actual aluminum bumper along with the cover, but keep in mind that there is always room to negotiate with shops, especially in the winter due to increased down time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
DIY

rear bumper from dealer-350
painted at shop -150
-----------------------------------
total cost--500

do it yourself-PRICELESS :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm all about doing it myself, but this sounds like something that is not for the novice car modder.

I've seen the bumper of the passat online for as low as 180, so i know doing it myself would be cheaper - if its possible.

Has anyone done this themselves? Does it take a mechanic?

The most complex thing i've done with my car is installed the sound system and put in the alien window mod.

What do you guys think? :???:

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife backed into somebody the other day. The bumper only has cosmetic scuffs and scratches. Considering your estimates...how much you guys think would it cost to just sand and paint the bumper?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
For minor scuffs and scratches try buffing w/3m finese-it or 3m rubbing compound most scratches can even be taken care of by hand polishing useing a soft cloth, just make sure to use a qaulity product (no turtle wax compound, ect.). If the scratches are too deep to be buffed a good alternative is to look in your yellow pages of call a quality local dealership and ask who does their paint touchup, normally you will want to talk to service or used cars, a good touchup tech. can spray your bumper for around $50-75 and do as good of job as many body shops. :thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had my rear bumber (just the plastic skin) repainted about three years ago... damn, how time flies!?

Anyway, it was just minor cosmetic damage from a slow speed bump. The total cost was only about $225. I believe the quote for replacing the whole piece was $500-600, but it could have been $900 for all I know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And Here's the Pics!

:nervous:

Does anyone still think I could get away with a touch-up rather than a new bumper?

Thanks in advance for the input! :bow:

Aaron

·
Registered
100 Posts
900.00 USD :shock:

I had my bumper replaced and painted (by a VW authorized shop in my area) and the guy did it for 600.00. This was about three years ago and the bumper cost me 300.00 or maybe 350.00. Either way, the labor can't possibly be that much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
rcaton1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing