Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rear pads and rotors replaced at 30,000 miles, stock pads and rotors, by the dealership. I am now at about 44,000 miles, and the dealership mechanic said that we have only 10% of the brake pad remaining and that we should replace the pads and rotors. The 30,000 service was in June 05. This seems quite a bit soon for me, as the first set of rear pads lasted 30,000 miles. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
take a look yourself.
that is waaayyyyy to fast to wear out.
unless they never changed them the first time.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I had my rear pads and rotors replaced at 30,000 miles, stock pads and rotors, by the dealership. I am now at about 44,000 miles, and the dealership mechanic said that we have only 10% of the brake pad remaining and that we should replace the pads and rotors. The 30,000 service was in June 05. This seems quite a bit soon for me, as the first set of rear pads lasted 30,000 miles. Any advice would be appreciated.
is this is the same dealer who ripped off your wife /you with that 465.00$ belly pan and hardware repair job , in your other post, i would find anothr dealer or indi import mech fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Rear brakes should last longer than that. My 98 Passat had the rear pads done at 90,000 for the first time back when my sister-in-law still owned the car. And all I did was piss cut the rotors to get rid of the glazing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rear pads are a DIY... Save big bucks that way. Many places "rent" the needed caliper tool for free with a 100% refundable deposit.

Once the wheel is off, inspect the rotor. If you have a vernier caliper, as long as you are above the spec 9.4mm, just go with fresh pads. The calipers do not even have to come off; it is quite easy....

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Malcolm

·
Registered
752 Posts
And in addition to the above suggestions, drive 5 more miles and go to Douglass VW in Summit. I work for the NJ division of consumer affairs and our office of consumer protection always has cases against the whole DCH orginization. Douglass though has literally ZERO. When I need a dealer for service it is where I go. If you want a great indy, check out Egentons in plainfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts