Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rotating my tires and noticed that my rear brakes are almost shot already. I'm guessing theres only about 3/32 left to them. My car is a glx model with the v6/5-speed. does this seem a bit premature to anyone? I don't think my parking brake is dragging at all because my car seems to drift back fine on its own when on a hill and I don't notice any dragging when I'm driving. what can I expect to pay for pads, rotors (mine are warped), and hard ware kits for all 4 wheels? are they available from stores like NAPA or autozone? I figure that would be cheapest, but I would like to go with factory stuff if its not to much more. Or maybe I'll try those EBC Greenstuff pads.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If you hit Autozone, I think its like $30 a rotor for the front, and less for the rear. Pads are somewhere in that range too. For street driving, they're totally fine, and will serve you well. But you'll get plenty of other opinions that say otherwise.

BTW, EBC = :puke: . Try Axxis/PBR if you're lookin' for an upgrade. :thumbup:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/A4_B5.htm (scroll to the bottom...and yes, they'll fit your Passat)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out autozone and napas websites and they seemed to want closer to 60 or 70 a rotor, unless I read it wrong and that was for a set of them. anyways, I checked prices on the tirerack.com and for 4 brembo O.E. replacement rotors and ebc green stuff pads, I'm looking at spending a total of $350. is that what I can expect to spend elsewhere? and as I mentioned above, is it normal for my rear brakes to be shot at 30,000miles?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Oops. I forgot the brakes for this car were extraordinarly overpriced. :cry: The OEM rotors are $50 each from parts4vws.com, $35 for the rear. Call up Liberty VW and check with they're prices too. They sell to ClubB5 members at 10% over cost, which is usually better than most of its competitors.

Yeah. There's been discussion on why the rear pads wear out so quick. One theory is that they're soft. Another theory is that they're designed to contact the rotor before the front pads do, for stability sake. And there's also another theory floating around about how the smaller disc means high rotational speed, which puts more force on the entire rear braking system. Choose a theory. :) But they all lead to the same thing: that the rear pads wear out quick. I have a couple 32's left on the rears, and the fronts looks like they're new after 44k miles.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I thinkit has something to do with an odd front to rear breaking bias. Almost every car manufacturer has a substancial bias to the front (usually like 80/20) but VW for some reason has the brakes set up to something more like 62/38, my guess would be fore less of a jolt when stopping (smoother). My fronts had to be replaced due to warpage at 27k miles. I replaced my rears at a little over 22k IIRC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rear brake pads on my GLX V6 2003 are almost out at 15k!! :mad:
I'm planning to replace them with Hawk HPS pads along with the stock rotors.

What do you guys think? Will these pads last longer?

·
Registered
199 Posts
You're lucky you made it to 30k miles... mine were shot at 25k.

Avoid Mintex pads - mine squeal a lot (as I've posted before - its my mission in life to keep people fromy buying these pads).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i saw rears for 4motion for $29.99 on http://www.importrp.com/ search under the car not the make, scroll down. It says for 99 and newer 4mo $29.99 a piece. part # 8D0 615 601 A, they are made by ATE and are just blanks. Best price i have seen, but they dont fit W8 :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, auto zone has rotors for around 25 or 30 bucks, but I'm a little worried about the quality, I don't wanna end up with warped rotors again. I guess its that whole " you get what you pay for thing." Thats why I thought about going with the brembo rotors...they seem resonably priced compared to every one else, and I'd feel pretty safe with the quality of them. I think I'm gonna go with the ebc greenstuff pads though, I like the fact that they don't produce much brake dust.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Supposedly the PBR/Axxis metal masters produce even less brake dust than the green stuff pads. Might save you some shipping costs by getting everything from one place, at least that's what I'm starting to figure out. Brake parts are heavy.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
For the record, I got the aftermarket A8 front rotors and stock rear rotors from ECS, and after beating on them for five days at the track over the course of last summer and fall, they've held up just fine. I think they use the same vendor for the stock rotors, you may want to give them a call to find out.

Andy

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just put PBR/Axis metal masters on this weekend. I'm still kind of breaking them in but I have noticed that they are much better than stock when warm. They are not bad when they are cold but you have to push a little harder.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The rear rotors on my 1.8T had be replaced at 15.5K miles. and now another 500 miles later they are warped again. I am gonna ask the dealer to replace the calipers and the rotors this time.
Has anyone one else had this problem?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do I need to replace the pad wear sensors when I change my brake pads, or do they just clip onto the pads. I saw that importrp.com has pads with and without sensors.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
There is nothing extra to replace... The sensor is a tiny wire inside the pad - when the pads wear down enough the wire is scraped away and the circuit opens - letting the ecu know it's time to warn you about your pads.

On the pads with sensors, there is a wiring harness attached for connecting to the car's wiring. It's plug-and-play.

EDIT: you only have wiring for FRONT pad wear sensors... you don't need sensors for the rear.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
never mind, I just noticed that the ones with sensors were the fronts, and the ones without were the rears. wow, importrp.com's prices are so much cheaper than the tirerack's. anyone else have any other suggestions on weather I should go with the ebc green stuff pads or the pbr/axis metal master pads? I was also looking at those pagid black pads, any opinions, suggestions? I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for quality pads. I've always heard good things about the ebc pads, thats why I was considering those. but I'm definately going with the brembo rotors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
mackman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing