Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to purchase a passat 2002 TDI automatic. When taking it for test drive, i tried to pull off but the rear brake had locked on. The seller spoke to a VW tech who said it is probably a parameter steering sensor. I reset the sensor by turning wheel left and right to full lock. This seemed to remedy the problem. It did however occur the next day on another test drive. Has anyone heard of this before? The seller said he will replace the sensor before i take delivery. Does anyone have any idea of cost?
FYI the car has done 88 000 with full VW service history, last service three weeks ago.

PS I have treid the search facility, but to no avail.

Mart

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Do the ABS and brake warning lights come on? Does it happen when you apply the brakes? If so, the rear brakes can lock up early. I don't believe turning the steering wheel had anything to do with resetting anything. Don't know whether it's the speed sensor or not but you should get a warning light if the ABS system is faulty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there was no ABS or any other warning lights, the rear brakes just locked. I do know form my Mercs owning days that steering parameter sensors do sometimes need reseting by following the procedure I outlined in my early post. The car is with a tech today so he will hook it up and see what the computer says. Any other thoughts anyone??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts