Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do our rear brake pads last? My 2003 has only 18700 miles and it seems that the rear pads are going. The front pads are perfect. Is this normal? Is this something that might be covered under warranty? I find it premature for them to go so quickly. Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
greyvariant,

This is indeed normal. I have experience the same rear brake wear with my 2003. The general consensus on this forum seems to be that VW designed the rear brakes to grab a little quicker to prevent nose dive (or something like that).

I will be replacing my rear pads within the next couple of weeks.

BTW... it's not a warranty issue, just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slider said:
greyvariant,

This is indeed normal. I have experience the same rear brake wear with my 2003. The general consensus on this forum seems to be that VW designed the rear brakes to grab a little quicker to prevent nose dive (or something like that).

I will be replacing my rear pads within the next couple of weeks.

BTW... it's not a warranty issue, just normal wear and tear.

So the rear pads only last 18000 miles? My sister's 2003 Jetta 1.8T has 33000 and still on the original pads. Perhaps because the Passat is heavier they wera out quicker. VW OEM rear pads are $85 a pair. I just made the call. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
We replaced the rear pads AND rotors on our 2000 variant at around 25K. The explanation I got from the dealer is that the Passats route most breaking power to the rear to prevent nose dive. Gotta admint that the car doesn't nose dive that much and we do get more brake dust on the rear wheels.

I checked with a friend with a 99 sedan and he replaced his at 40000 but he does mostly highway driving. This seems to be on the level.

Alex

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do, mostly, highway driving. I still have my original pads(front & rear) and have almost 47,000 miles. I just changed back over to my summer tires and saw that the rears will have to be replaced very soon. Probably in about two months. Also, I have a manual transmission and use it to give me some braking action. By the way, it's a 2000 V6.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do mostly city driving. I know the Passat's rear brakes first and I have noticed more brake dust in the rear. But I didn't expect them to go so quickly. VW OEM rear brake pads are $85 a pair, did the call already. So I gues I 'll have to replace them. Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ok, so if VW designed our cars to route braking power to the rear to prevent nose dive, why didn't they design bigger rotors and thicker pads in the rear to prevent premature rear brake failure?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JokerUNM said:
Ok, so if VW designed our cars to route braking power to the rear to prevent nose dive, why didn't they design bigger rotors and thicker pads in the rear to prevent premature rear brake failure?
That's was I thought. Why put softer and thinner pads at the rear when those are the ones that brake first? And why doesn't the rear have any brake wear sensors like the front? So to prevent the rear from wearing out quicker I have to press the brakes hard now? Going to have to buy the VW pads tomorrow and get them changed ASAP as sometimes I am hearing some grinding noises too. Hope the rotors aren't shot too. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My W8 tip has 29,600 miles and is going in for a 30,000 service in a week where the brake pads will be checked / replaced.

Rears have worn right down, and while there is some material left on them it's only a few millimetres if that. No grinding noises or loss of braking as yet so I hope they haven't completely worn out...rotors look OK with no discernable scratches. Interestingly the outer right hand side pad has worn the most while the others have more material left on them.

Fronts still have plenty left on them but I'm consciously braking gently now to preserve the rears until the service.

Have asked the dealer to get a full set of pads in (special order even for a VW main dealer) so they can be replaced during the service. Luckily I don't have to pay for the service as it's covered under a maintenance contract I have... :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
my W8's rears were gone after 18k, the fronts were still fine. the rears had maybe, 2 mm left. I changed all pads to axxis ultimates, without changing the rotors, and I have had no problems

·
Registered
487 Posts
25,000 miles and 20% front, 30% rear worn. I drive 600 miles a week commuting to south San Jose. Brake wear depends on driving style, traffic and auto/manual. Automatics wear the brakes a lot faster than manual. I have a long term habit of trying to anticipate traffic and avoid braking where possible. I wonder if the S4 vented rears would wear slower? www.BIRA.org says rear upgrades are a waste of time so I'd only do it for looks.

Initial braking may b e rear biased but the majority of braking is front biased, that's why you have relatively big vented disks up front and little plain disks at the back. I have driven a Pontiac with a brake problem that locked up the rear wheels all the time, you really can't put a heck of a lot of brake force on the rears.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm still on the factory pads/rotors at 35k... When checked at 30k, rear was 50%, front was 70-80%.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The rear bias is only for light braking. Once you dip past a certain point in the pedal, the car assumes the obvious bias that we all expect (and physics demands).

So light braking is the culprit for rear wear... well that, and part of it HAS to be the difference in compound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got about 40% left of the rears after my 30K checkup last week. For the past few months I've experienced a pulsing during braking and figured it was the rotors. It was....rear rotors replaced under warranty. They queried me on my drive style, wondering if I drove the car hard or rode the brakes. "No" and "No". I asked them, 'if I abused my brakes wouldn't the rear pads be gone by now?' Anyway, they showed me the rotors which had blue spots in a number of places....a sign that they had been overheated. Never had warped rotors which leads me to wonder just how stout they are in the Passats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts