Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the general consensus to replace the rotors along with the pads at every replacement interval? I replaced my pads last year with new rotors(rotors we're good quality but the pads I'm not sure about) and now my hand brake is sky high again so looking to replace the pads again. Should I replace the rotors as well or should I be ok reusing those?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
Have you looked at the pads yet to see if they are worn and that there isn't some other cause of the hand brake being out of adjustment?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that I haven't done. I can take a look through the wheel tonight though. If I can see anything I'll pop 1 off.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just checked quickly before I lost daylight. I was only able to check through the rim but it definitely looks like there is plenty of meat on the outside pad at least.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
Open the service manual and go to page 2278. Yes, the file is large. It's 10311 pages.

Reactions: JhayRz

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
...now my hand brake is sky high again so looking to replace the pads again.
That's a separate problem. The handbrake handle should not do that because the calipers are supposed to automatically adjust for wear.

An no, rotors shouldn't need to be changed unless worn-out, warped, or have been ruined by letting pads completely wear down to metal.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
No, that I haven't done. I can take a look through the wheel tonight though. If I can see anything I'll pop 1 off.
My experience has been that the inner pads wear quite a bit faster than the outer, especially in the rear.

An no, rotors shouldn't need to be changed unless worn-out, warped, or have been ruined by letting pads completely wear down to metal.
Recommendation in the VW shop manual is to replace the rotors each time. HOWEVER, if they can be turned and still be above minimum thickness (they can't, frequently) I see no reason not to re-use. I've done it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't drive that much so by the time the pads are gone the rotor is usually pretty crappy. In short, I replace them together (every 10 years or so whether they need it or not).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I've mostly been home since March but the car definitely gets used at least 2 or 3 times a week. The pads have less than 10k on them so very surprised that they'd need replacing but it was the first I though of as I figured the caliper had extended.

I'll check the articles on adjustment.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I just replaced front rotors and pads on my A4. Inner pad wear was noticeably more than the outer pads, and sure enough, the slide pins were dry and had to be tapped out of the caliper. After polishing them and coating with brake caliper grease, they slid back in easily. I expect to have uniform pad wear.

·
Registered
27,428 Posts
Does the parking brake hold the car well? My son had a really high parking brake and the actuator was frozen inside the caliper. I replaced the caliper and all was well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the parking brake hold the car well? My son had a really high parking brake and the actuator was frozen inside the caliper. I replaced the caliper and all was well.
No, it doesn't hold the car as it should. So I've been parking it in gear for now. I'll have time this weekend to take a better look at this to see what it might be.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
No, it doesn't hold the car as it should. So I've been parking it in gear for now. I'll have time this weekend to take a better look at this to see what it might be.
Sounds like you have a manual? First rule I was taught when learning how to drive was when you park, you put it in gear (1st if level or nose downhill, reverse if nose uphill) and set the brake.

Reactions: dihedral and John_E

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, definitely. I admit I don't always and at times just use the brake when parking in my driveway which is pretty level.

Do I need to remove the console to get to the adjuster or just the insert in the middle of the storage under the armrest? I have a wagon if it matters.

·
Registered
27,428 Posts
The adjuster is under the car, above the central tunnel heatshield. I would check the rear pads and calipers before touching the adjusters.

Reactions: passat03wagon

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally got a chance to look at this today. Both inner pads are incredibly low. Outsides both look fine. I'll order a set of pads and rotors tomorrow so hopefully next weekend. Been a while since I did the rear myself. I can just use white lithium grease on the slid pins?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts