Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to replace the rear pads on a 2000 Passat GLX and can't seem to get the wheel cylinder to retract. I tried to compress it with a C-clamp as I've done with other cars but it feels locked in place. The rotors are only slightly worn and polished so I think the caliper has been working OK. The pads are fully worn, so the piston is mostly extended.

Does the antilock have a one way valve that prevents backflow? and therefore prevents the piston from retracting? could it be extended to the max and therefore out of the caliper? If so anyone have instructins or a manual that gives the reinstall instructions?

thanks in advance
BObZ
1972 Triumph Bonneville 650cc

·
Registered
322 Posts
From what I have read you have to rotate the cylinder while pressing it in. It's a pain with a C clamp and needlenose pliers. There is a tool for this job which makes it a snap to do.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
bzockoff: You need a caliper retraction tool. If you look at the piston you'll see two grooves, you can improvise a way to turn the piston while compressing with a c-clamp, but it's a pain in the ass.

Go to your local pep boys or AUtozone and borrow a caliper retraction tool from them, they usually have them and it will make the job a million times easier.

You can also buy one from dieselgeek (look under TDI tools) for like $45

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That's a new trick required on 7 diferent cars that I have replaced pads.

BobZ :crazy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I gave it a try, but the piston will not retract. I turned it about 20 rotations and no movement. Any ideas?

BobZ

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rent the tool. I just did my rear brakes on Saturday and the piston retraction tool made the job painlessly easy. Once you get the tool (with the right adapter) positioned in the piston, you just turn the handle clockwise to retract the piston. Keep turning until the piston has retracted enough to place over the new pads.

This was my first brake job and far easier than I could ever imagine. No more Midas or stealership for me.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the tool from AutoZone and it was a simple job to do the rotors and pads. Since the store is close, I can't see the need to buy the tool.

Thanks guys :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.