Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Rear Brake Install(Needle Nose Pliers)???

11K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  colorick 
#1 ·
Okay, I read the information thread on brakes and rotors and it is great. I did my front brakes last weekend. Easy except for those bracket bolts. Extremely difficult to remove. Let's just say a c clamp and concrete block gave me the momentum I needed to remove them.

Anyway, I've got a question about the back. I don't have a caliper tool and the write-up says you can also use needle nose pliers with a little more difficulty. Exactly how do you use the pliers to compress and turn the caliper piston??? I don't want to try it until I'm confident in my abilities. Thanks,

jjasper

#6 ·
Ok,if you are stuck take off the rotorand remount the caliper. Make sure the axle is on sturdy jack stands. Don't rely on the jack. Open the tit to release pressure on the fluid. Place the ends of needle nose pliers in the depressions in the piston. A nut or stone in the jaws to keep them open helps. Push and turn so that the piston moves back into the cylinder. You may have to clean off the ridge on the outside of the rotor to remove the pads in the first place.

#10 ·
I used needlenose pliers with good results. You have to turn the piston and then compress it with a clamp, turn, compress, turn, compress, turn, compress, etc....until you have enough room to get the new pads in there. :)

The recommended tool is defintely the best option though. :)

-Mark

#12 ·
The MetalNerd one looks a bit cheap, but has one nice feature. You can get the plate really close to the pusher. If you let your brakes go too long some tools won't fit until you run the piston in a bit by hand. The thin spanner is a nice bonus. Beats grinding the face of one of your good wrenches.

I've seen that cube one before. It looks like a good idea, but I doubt it really works.

Harvey Wallbanger said:
Will any of these do?

Klan tool
Brake cube
Metal Nerd

Quite a price differential.

#13 ·
Tom Parish said:
A good mechanic uses the right tools.
True, True...I wish I had a Dollar for every time I heard my Father say that!

I bought the Caliper tool and I actually have another set brand new (I bought two) if anyone is interested. I picked the set up from Harbour Freight for $19.99 on sale. It sells normally for $39.99. I'll let it go for what I paid plus whatever shipping is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.