Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove rear hubs on my 98 fwd. The 5 bolts have become one with the hub after 16 years. I'm thinking cut the bolt heads to free hub then remove stumps using pb blaster, heat, and a bolt-out. Can anyone think of a better way?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I would only cut the heads as a last resort.
CLean bolt heads as best possible with a wire brush.
Spray with PB Blaster.
Insert a long allen socket into the bolt head and tap with a hammer while having someone spray more Blaster.
Tap don't beat it to death.
Let it sit for a while and then repeat.
Spray with some brake clean to remove lubricant from the bolt heads.
With a breaker bar try to slightly tighten the bolts then try to break it loose.
If you get any movement spray with Blaster again and tap.
Then try to remove the bolts again.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
2002GLXV6 has good advice.

If you wind up stripping out the Allen bolt head socket, you can use a bolt out on the head--no need to cut it off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's really no visible gap between the bottom of the bolt head and the bearing flange to get PB or any other help in there. I tried using the bolt out on the head but it won't fit, the inside edge if the flange interferes. Rust is a pain.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Spray the PB Blaster where the bolt head touches the bearing flange and then tap with a hammer--that will draw the elixir down and into the threads.

You should also be able to spray the blaster from the back side if the bolts go through.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my rear hub and bearing recently and found that the bolt heads had rusted to the point where about 1/3 of the metal was missing. I did manage to get two of the bolts off by tapping the next size larger hex key into the head but the others were stuck and stripped. It turned out to be pretty easy to just grind the heads off with a right angle grinder and then the hub came off easily. The remaining 'studs' were easy to remove with vise grips. It wasn't a problem at all. Make sure you are gentle removing the hub because the ABS sensor needs to be coaxed out. It helps if you make some slack in the cable prior to pulling the hub off. Use good grade bolts to re-assemble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen the rust on mine and am wondering if I should replace them before they rust to nothing and become a safety issue (never mind being able to change the hubs...).

I can find replacement rear hubs easily enough- but does anyone know if they usually include new bolts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts