Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Fixed]Really weird electrical problem

Hi everyone!

I recently got a Passat -95 and I love it! But now I've gotten a weird problem. There has been a minor problem with the dashboard before, where it loses power and goes black (except for the headlights light), but it could usually be fixed by gently hitting the dashboard. But now there is this wierd major problem.
I tried to use the google search thing, but couldn't find anything like this.

This is what happens:
1. The fasten seatbelt and ABS lights turn on.
2. The radio stops playing and then stops working (it's still on, but no buttons work, not even the powerbutton, have to manually remove powercords to shut it off)
3. The dashboard lightning is dimmed
4. The engine loses power until it is just "stuttering"

After that, when I try to restart the car the dashboard sometimes sounds like some kind "electrical clatter" and the electric windows starts to roll down, and the engine does not start. It starts again if I wait a couple of hours, but then the problem comes again.
Does anyone have any ideas? I have made sure the generator is working at least. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
How did you check the alternator ?
What is the battery voltage after sitting for a while with everything off ?
What is the battery voltage with the engine running ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked it by checking the voltage over the battery when the engine was running, which was slightly above 14V. I managed to measure the voltage while it behaved weirdly, and it had dropped to about 7V.

So I changed the battery, and also the alternator regulator (I think that's what it's called), and have not had the same problem after that. So my guess is that something was wrong with the battery, some dirt in it or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts