Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I installed a 710 diverter valve in my 99 1.8T. I did this as part of adding a 1bar chip to my car. After removing the DV on the car I noticed it was also a 710. Nonetheless I installed the new one I bought (just to be safe). Since the last week in April I have been using the Passat as my daily driver. Prior to that the car was not driven at all since the car needed a TB adaptation after installing the chipped ECU.

Okay I will get to the point a brand new diverter valve blew out on me last Wednesday since it happened at night and far from home. I thought the cat broke because I smelt all sort or exhaust gases. Got to look at the car myself on Saturday, That is when I realized it was the new Two month old DV that I put on the car was the cause of the car acting like it was in retard mode. Luckily I still had the old 710 valve that I took off earlier. Now I am debating whether to return the random tech cat sitting in the Post office. because I really need some rotors right now two of them are slightly warped.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swami I chose the stock valve because the car "Phantom GLI" project is supposed to be as stock as possible I am building a car that a VW engineer could build out of the parts bin with parts that are better than stock. And besides I'm a cheap bastard If a $35 part will do the job. Why would I spend $130 for a aluminum part that absords heat faster than plastic and you can't see the beauty of the part. Besides the 710 is an upgrade for my '99, if the stock ones don't hold up then I will get something stronger.

I guess I will keep the cat, because if it will improve the performance of the car that is a good thing. Now I am debating whether I should mate the Random tech cat to a tt high flow down pipe. If it is not going to be a great inprovement then I will not bother. My line of thinking right now is if my turbo fails then I will replace it with a KO4. but for now if it aint broke I am leaving it alone.

I plan on changing all the rotors because the rear are shot (I experienced this with my corrado so I know they have to go) and the fronts are warped, when I drive I have a constant sqeak, and when I apply the brake you hear a noise like (woop woop woop) I am just deciding wheter to continue with my Hi-performance stock theme and get stock rotors or if I should get some drilled and slotted rotors, my original plan was to do the A8 uprade but besides the 18's on the car the stock wheels are 15's I am looking for some 16's for like dirt cheap. That's why I have not changed them as yet. I trying to stick with the theme and everyday I get a new idea. the curse of the :b5: is upon me :lol:

·
Registered
329 Posts
So why is this a VW quality issue? A new Chip which puts out 50 more HP and 70-80ft/lbs of torque (25% increase on stock) causing a stock DV valve to blow is a quality control issue? :crazy:

What can you expect? And why is it VW's fault?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay maybe you don't understand what I mean when I say blow out. the diaphram did not pop the housing came apart. The DV case failed so the car was dumping all the boost and the air pressure sensor could not pick up a pressure reading and the care would not rev when you put it in gear. only sometime you would hear the air rushing out that is why I say that it is a VW quality issue. I found all of this out after I had an oppurtunity to jack up the car and remove that [email protected]#king PITA belly pan. (It does not lend itself well to roadside repairs) I was without my car for 2.5 days Thank GOD I don't have a one car family. When I took the BP off and looked up the top of the DV was hanging by the vacuum line and the diaphram was jammed part way in the other half or the valve that should not have happened. What I am saying is a 35 part caused the car to not be driveable and the repair charge probably would have been less than the towing bill. I don't have AAA down here in the VI
So why is this a VW quality issue? A new Chip which puts out 50 more HP and 70-80ft/lbs of torque (25% increase on stock) causing a stock DV valve to blow is a quality control issue?

What can you expect? And why is it VW's fault?
Now don't get me wrong I am thankful that the repairs to the car were not more extensive, but in the past neuspeed offered parts you could count on, so when this is the DV that they sold me failed it just shakes you faith in them. Now I am wondering if the modified FPR they sold me for 79 bucks is going to embarrass me too. The reason I am mad at VW is because they made that part that failed. I bought their chip because it was the only one I knew of that was C.A.R.B. Exempt and I had one of there chip in my corrado and it was the only one that didn't ping (prior to that I already had three other chips in that car and it also had the best bottom end hp) so I figured I would skip the guess work and go with their chip but everyone here is either bumping for GIAC and the other half is for APR why does everone think the neuspeed chip sucks so much. I am starting to think about getting the ECU rechipped with an APR.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That does sound like a defect since it was such a huge failure. That's not normal even with a chipped car. I just disagree with the being mad a VW for a potential quality control issue. It blew, but your stocker is still hanging in there, happens with everything once in a while. Nothing is every 100%. Just sorry it happened when it did.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan the DV that I originally took out of the car was already an upgraded one I bought the car used so I did not know that it had been changed already, since I had already took it out I just replaced it with the brand new I had bought. I was already a little ticked to see it already had a 710 on it. Now I'm even more ticked to see it explode with only two months of use. It like I wasted my TIME and money messing with the valve in the first place next time I will stick to my usual MO and only upgrade parts after they need replacing.

Don't worry I still love my :b5:. its not perfect but it neither is My MB C280 sport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.