Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my summer wheels on about a week ago, and everything has been fine. Yesterday I noticed my one tire had a slow leak, so I put some air in it at the local gas station until I have a chance to get it checked out (went from 36 psi to 25psi in about a week) Now, after adding the air I have this unbelieveable shimmy at 50mpg+ At first I thought a tire went flat, pulled over, checked pressure all the way around and it's fine (the offending tire is at about 30 psi) Anyone know where to start looking? I'm thinking this tire (the right rear) is the possible culprit, could it just be out of balance, or worn strangely because of the low pressure?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I would think that the tire is probaly the main issue. You more then likely have some flat spots in the tires, depending on how you had them laid out in the garage over winter. Sometimes, with low pressure, if the tire was low at the time of removing from car, the tire will get bad or worn spots. Maybe time to replace it and be done with it. Best thing though is to take it to a reputable tire shop and have them look at it when you have the chance.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm on the search for a reputable shop. Talked to Clay, he can get my tires here by Thursday no problem (I'll order 2) Last time I went to TiresPlus, I lost my belly pan and part of my lower bumper from the guy pulling it off the lift (they of course replaced them at no charge)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after 6 tire shops, NO ONE wants to touch my wheels. None of them are confident that they will not scratch or damage them while checking whether or not the rim or tire is at fault (or both) :mad: :mad: :mad:

At this point I have no idea where to go to have this looked at, I've tried:

Goodyear
NTB
Just Tires
Tires Plus
2 independent shops

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Alright dude, who mounted your wheels and tires and installed them? Maybe it would be best to pull the car in the garage, pull the rim off, and check for any noticable damage. Check the inner wheel lips to see if there is any bends anywhere and or flat spots or bubbles in the tread.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think your best bet is to remove the tire and inspect it. If you can't find any leaks on the tire by visual inspection, maybe you can get a tub of water and stick the tire in that to find the air bubbles. If you only have a small leak in the tread, you may be able to plug it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the rims/tires used, so finding the original dealer is not going to be easy.

Anyhow, I talked to my buddy at the VW/Porsche dealer, and he sent me into Camden, NJ to a place that does all the 26" chrome rims for Hummers and Lincolns. They said no problem! Pulled off the rim, and a 6" bubble on the back of the tire explained what was up.

So I just got off the phone with Clay, ordered two tires to be here in a few days, and will be back up there to have them installed, and hopefully all will be done by Show N' Go

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was just about to tell you that. Call the Porsche dealer and figure out where their wheels and tires get mounted.

Glad you found the problem

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think this is the place that the dealership sends their cars to have work done.... it's a pretty shady place (New and Used tires, 2 lifts and 5 sets of jacks out front) But I"ll be damned if these guys aren't the best tire guys I've ever seen. I saw them swap tires on 5 cars in the time I was there to have mine pulled off, looked at and have tires ordered. PLUS becuase they knew that my car was my baby, they put the lugs back on with a torque wrench and took probably twice the time they needed at no charge, since they knew I'm coming back to have the new ones mounted there.

It's amazing the service difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts