Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I turn on my car last nite coming out of a restaurant, and when I start going i get a really high pitched whistle coming from the engine. And this only happens between approx. 2000-4000RPM. I'm thinking it's something with my turbo when it spools up. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer later on today. What do you think it is? Is it easily fixable?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
what year is it?

what's the mileage on it?

does it only occur when the car is cold and coming up to temp?

what mods do you have?

need more info to be able to help you out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine has done this for a while now I was wondering also what the heck it is. It seems to do it more when it's cold. I know it's not a vacuum hose because my gauge reads 19 .

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
typically, when the engine's cold, it's a normal sound.

not sure exactly what it is, but i've been told it's either the DV actuating early (until the car warms up and full boost can be achieved safely), or the wastegate.

please note, this is only "normal" on cold starts or in cold weather; once the car is up to operating temps, you should no longer hear this noise.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
You have described this as "whistling" - like real whistling, like the kind of frequencies a human could get by whistling through lips?

If this is the whistle you hear, then your CAT is probably about to separate from the turbo outlet housing. It starts with a tiny crack, which is causing the whistle. Soon, one day, allofasudden, it will pop loose. No more whistle, but your silky-smooth turbo engine will sound like a tractor...

The engine mounts on the turbo engine are good for stock TQ and HP, and that's about it. We go and chip our engines, and the increased torque twists the engine too much and puts a strain on the cheap-ass CAT flange. After awhile the flange gives up.

When it breaks, you can have it spot-welded, or replace it with a Random CAT or equivalent.

Also, when it's time to replace the engine mounts, replace them with V6 mounts - bolt-in replacement designed for more HP.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2003 1.8T 2500 Miles. BONE STOCK.

It happens when it's cold or warm. Just started happening last nite. Well it's at the dealer right now.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Good Call - if the noise is reproduceable and the car is still under warranty, the dealer is the best place for it!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine has been doing this when cold at very close to 2800RPM-3200RPM. Been doing this for more than a year, first I had it to a few mechs etc but no problem was found, so I just live with it.

But I must say it does definitely not sound like the turbo, and I'm not really hot about the cat idea, since with my car it comes when I'm out of gear and slowly rising the RPMs, it comes in gear at both slow and fast acceleration. The engine movement should be quite different when standing still and when accelerating fast.

Forgot to mention, I didn't hear it either before I was chipped. First I had upsolute wich sucked rocks and now I have BSR.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After being at the dealer for two whole days, they briefly called me while I was at work and told me that they need to replace the whole turbo. So I guess the problem lays within the turbo, he didn't really explain exactly what happened, but I will ask him on Tuesday when I get the car back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i hear a whistling but it isnt loud and its only when im accellerating i thought it was normal. very faint... passenger probably wouldnt hear it unless i pointed it out

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
wow, my girls stock 99 1.8t does this too. same exact thing you described. i always tell her it's a leaf or something in the blower motor, i guess i should take it more seriously and bring it in for service. it only happens really when you step on it. she recently had her turbo changed due to wastegate failure, i'll ask her if it still happens anymore.

what up bubb rubb!!!!! wooooooo woooooooooooooooo!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
whistling

whistling sound in 2000-4000rpm range. read somewhere on this forum that that is due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner. sound goes away when the car warms up right. search forum for problems section on B5s, i beleive its there. sorry i am a newbie, cant quite find the article now to give you the link. but its on the list i compiled of this forum of all the stuff i can expect a 98 B5 to give me trouble with. hope this helps
5cent

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: whistling

nare said:
whistling sound in 2000-4000rpm range. read somewhere on this forum that that is due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner. sound goes away when the car warms up right.
Actually, the 2000 - 4000 RPM range you quote is rather large for the belt tensioner issue. I had a number of questions about belt tensioners. Take a look here and here and here. There are also some more links inside my last link. But get a full cup of coffee first; these are some long topics.

TGH

·
Registered
621 Posts
thedwarf said:
Mine has been doing this when cold at very close to 2800RPM-3200RPM. Been doing this for more than a year, first I had it to a few mechs etc but no problem was found, so I just live with it.
Now this sounds like the RPM range for the belt tensioner issue.

TGH

·
Registered
232 Posts
ThosHrubecky said:
Now this sounds like the RPM range for the belt tensioner issue.

TGH
Hmmh, perhaps I should check in to that too. I had my belt changed by VW and I had the sound before and after. Are they supposed to change the tensioner, or is it just "when needed"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK so I turn on my car last nite coming out of a restaurant, and when I start going i get a really high pitched whistle coming from the engine. And this only happens between approx. 2000-4000RPM. I'm thinking it's something with my turbo when it spools up. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer later on today. What do you think it is? Is it easily fixable?
Orange PCV valve. Mine was doing this and replaced valve. Very simple job. Works like a charm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.