Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK read a few post and threads here and other places..still none the wiser, just bought a 2.3 V5 passat, its superb, and hell even all the electrics work which i understand for this car is rare..however, the bite point for the clutch is the highest of anything ive ever driven (including my 1999 1.9tdi audi) now some poeple say this means the clutch is on its way out...BUT!! my car doesnt slip on the clutch or judder and runs mooth as! with a full service history..... very very confused and in need of help please guys :)

Martin :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have an '03 V6 and my clutch hits at about 75% up. The guy I bought it from said I can probably nurse it until spring, but that the clutch is def. on it's way out.

They should bite about 1/4 of the way through the pedal travel.

For the record, mine doesn't slip either. While I rarely go above 4000 RPM, I wound it out yesterday to above 5200 and it still didn't slip or act like it was going to.

Luckily, I drive in Atlanta, where traffic keeps you below the speed limit for most of the ride in the mornings and at night. ;)

BTW, anything in your service records about a clutch? My car has 175K and I'm not sure if it's the first clutch, or the ninth.

AJ

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
The high grab point doesn't indicate anything by itself. It's a hydraulic clutch, so there is some adjustment that can be made. It could also indicate a failing master clutch cylinder.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
The high grab point doesn't indicate anything by itself. It's a hydraulic clutch, so there is some adjustment that can be made. It could also indicate a failing master clutch cylinder.
^this. I had 230K miles on my OEM clutch, and it still had plenty of surface left when it was replaced.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wish there was a port or something to look through....or is there?

Jay, you're running V6 with a PES, right? Did you replace the clutch only because of the HP gains? (or was that someone else...scott?)

Anyway...is there a way to check the master cylinder?

AJ

^this. I had 230K miles on my OEM clutch, and it still had plenty of surface left when it was replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an '03 V6 and my clutch hits at about 75% up. The guy I bought it from said I can probably nurse it until spring, but that the clutch is def. on it's way out.

They should bite about 1/4 of the way through the pedal travel.

For the record, mine doesn't slip either. While I rarely go above 4000 RPM, I wound it out yesterday to above 5200 and it still didn't slip or act like it was going to.

Luckily, I drive in Atlanta, where traffic keeps you below the speed limit for most of the ride in the mornings and at night. ;)

BTW, anything in your service records about a clutch? My car has 175K and I'm not sure if it's the first clutch, or the ninth.

AJ

My car has 77k on the clock, the clutch sounds good, its smooth as silk, how do you go about adjusting the clutch then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you make the adjustment and whats involved mate?

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
There's no adjustment per se, but you can experiment with different length rods. The one that actuates the throw out bearing. I am not sure if a longer rod means less or more pedal travel, and it's not super easy to switch it out, either.

Why not just leave well enough alone, as your clutch works flawlessly as you report? There will be plenty of other things that you will need to address with your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no adjustment per se, but you can experiment with different length rods. The one that actuates the throw out bearing. I am not sure if a longer rod means less or more pedal travel, and it's not super easy to switch it out, either.

Why not just leave well enough alone, as your clutch works flawlessly as you report? There will be plenty of other things that you will need to address with your car.
plenty of things such as? this is my first passat lol, well i guess but its just a bit uncomfortable to hold it on the clutch that hi at junctions etc...it just had me wrried really

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Simple--don't hold the clutch pedal down at red lights. Put the stick in neutral and take your foot off the clutch pedal whenever you have to stop more than momentarily. You will also be saving wear on the throw-out bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts