Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer today with a friend shopping for a new car. (I am trying to convince him that a new b5.5 is the right car for him) but that is beside the point.

There were many cars on the lot that were marked (stickered) as '04 passats, but looked exactly like an '03. There were no blinkers on the side mirrors and the side markers were still there. I didn't look to see if the mat clips were oval or round. I was also thinking that i could look when the car was manufactured, but aren't most '04 passats that are here made back in '03 anyway?

Anyway, how do i know that these are really 04 passats and not left over '03 passats that the dealer just put a new sticker on?

I would hate to find out this was true, but I would really like to know.
Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is what I was wondering because every picture that is in the new 04 brochure has the new mirrors.

I just bought an 03 back in october and I would hate to think that this dealer would do anything like this.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I doubt any dealer would say the car is an 04 and in reality it is an 03. I believe it can be traced from the VIN and it's pretty obvious. Any Passat built June or after is definitely the NEXT model year.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yeah that would be some kind of fraud ending up in jail time. I don't think they would take the risk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
that's funny i was thinking the same thing when i visited the dealer before i got my passat... the side blinker ones are 2004.5 instead of 2004 passats, i had to settle for a 2004 instead of a 2004.5, but i think the blinkers are the only difference

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just me (please don't cast any stones). We're so close to seeing the B6 that I don't think that it would make sense to buy a 2004 or 2004.5. Once the B6 is out, and it's not to your friend's liking, then he could always opt for an earlier model. Probably would get a good deal on the earlier model too, if this were the case.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
rcaton1 said:
Just me (please don't cast any stones). We're so close to seeing the B6 that I don't think that it would make sense to buy a 2004 or 2004.5. Once the B6 is out, and it's not to your friend's liking, then he could always opt for an earlier model. Probably would get a good deal on the earlier model too, if this were the case.
The next generation Passat is not a B6. It will be on an A frame I believe and it won't be out until 2006 I believe.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
jhct said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of deals were they willing to cut for the '04's?
I've seen them at $4000-4500 off msrp here. Must be a tough time selling these lately.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for all your input.

I really didnt think that a dealer would do this, but i guess you could just call it paranoia. As far as the deals that they were cutting...all that I have seen is the other posts on this forum and the quirk cars ad.
http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/ads/vw.jpg
The price that they show in the newspaper ad is like $2000 UNDER invoice. That seems like a crazy deal to me. I guess this is because (as I have read) that VW is offering incentives to the dealer to hlp sell these things. I just feel like if there is anytime to bet a new b5.5 the time is now.
I do know that the B6/Awhatever is to be coming out soon, but i have also heard that VW wants to widen the gap between the passat and the jetta even more. By widen the gap i mean raise the price significantly. So a Passat for 17,500 would be totally out of the question for the new models. I have also heard that the B6 whatever is going to have a 200hp 2.0 turbo. That sounds awesome. But we'll see about that.
Thank you again everyone for helping to clarify my suspicions.
:thumbup: CLUB :b5:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quirk is a super volume dealer and they make almost nothing on each car. Good for us I suppose but I'd just expect a lousy saleman and buying experience. Anyhow since your from Maine, you wouldn't care. VW buyers usually already know what they want anyway. Take the deal and run. BUT, Quirk slaps on the largest most obnoxious dealer tag you've ever seen. I mean BIG. In any deal, tell them no tag or you walk away. Sure you could take it off yourself with a hair dryer and floss, but why deal with it and possibly risk an accidental paint mark.
Keep in mind that purchasing a car from a dealer you will use for service can have many benefits, as they will give you more benefit of the doubt and better care. But, some dealers are junk no matter what. Just something to think about.

VW has an add with a Passat that has both side markers AND mirror signals. So they are doing both in the 2004.5??

·
Registered
9 Posts
jhct said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of deals were they willing to cut for the '04's?
Some advise: NEGOTIATE!!!! I got quotes from all South Florida dealers and they kept going down and down....They started out at 31,920 got a dealer to go down to $27,900 out the door!!! That's over 4 grand I saved! And I have the emails to prove it. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts