Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 Passat (Certified) from a VW dealership. I haven’t bought a car since 2002 (2002 Passat). I’m willing to pay a fair price but don’t want to pay more than I should. Are VW dealers sticking firm to asking price or is there generally some wiggle room and if so how much, or is each dealer different? The car I’m looking at is $18,500 with 34,xxx miles (Komfort 2.0T). Wondering what would be a good price if anyone cards to comment.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've been shopping 2010 wagons lately around Chicago with similar mileage, and they are going for $21-22k.

With the certified warranty, I'm inclined to think that $18500 for a sedan isn't a bad price, and for a wagon would be a terrific price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Minneapolis and there aren't too many 2010s in the area for sale. In the weeks I've been watching I've seen ones on cars.com for 17K-19K. While this region might have cheaper Passats than other regions I'm hoping they will still be somewhat flexible on price. I was thinking of offering 16k and working up to 17K if needed. If I got it for 17K that means the dealer would have to come down about $1500. Not too much to expect is it? ?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If I got it for 17K that means the dealer would have to come down about $1500. Not too much to expect is it? ?
That's the margin I talked the dealer down when I bought my 07 wagon with 64,000km and CPO on it. I think your strategy is a good one.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm in Minneapolis and there aren't too many 2010s in the area for sale. In the weeks I've been watching I've seen ones on cars.com for 17K-19K. While this region might have cheaper Passats than other regions I'm hoping they will still be somewhat flexible on price. I was thinking of offering 16k and working up to 17K if needed. If I got it for 17K that means the dealer would have to come down about $1500. Not too much to expect is it? ?
How long is the CPO warranty extension? If it goes out to 75k miles and you got it for $17k, I'd say you weren't doing bad at all.

Make sure you make the offer tonight, around 5pm or so. Right when everyone at the dealership is itching to go home for their holiday tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long is the CPO warranty extension? If it goes out to 75k miles and you got it for $17k, I'd say you weren't doing bad at all.

Make sure you make the offer tonight, around 5pm or so. Right when everyone at the dealership is itching to go home for their holiday tomorrow. :)

That's a good idea but I work 2nd shift and don't get done until 10pm tonight.

I'm thinking its a something like a 2 year 24,000? mile warranty once the mfg warranty runs out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2006 Passat 2.0T VE I just purchased last week was up for $9,700. The shop inspector offered me $4,900 for my Jeep but the manager hooked me up with an $8,000 trade in offer plus a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. After all was said and done, I paid $1,700 for the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure when you negotiate price you ask about "dealer fees". Tell them up front to include it in the price they quote you. They might come down to 17K but when you go to pay there is a line in the contract for $999 in "dealers fees". Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts