Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Passat with heated mirrors. Some cars use the rear window defogger switch to heat the mirrors. My car used S6 5amp fuse and switch
E231 for the outside mirrors. I re-wired my car so that when the rear window defogger and heated mirror switch are on, my heated mirrors heat up. My new mirrors should last alot longer because I will not have to worry about leaving the switch on. I used factory repair manual on CD-ROM, wiring diagrams No. 1/18, 29/5, 29/16, 29/18.

Parts: 1 radioshack #64-3140 yellow Tap-in connector
1 Heavy Duty ATO fuseholder with 12 gauge wire
1 5 Amp ATO fuse
3 feet 12 gauge stranded wire
2 feet 18 gauge stranded wire
Red & yellow butt connectors

Just remove the plastic cover (A pillar) by the hood release lever & the cover over the fuses. All the connectors and wires are easy to get at.
The wiring sizes on the diagrams are listed in milimeters. The 2.5mm wire
used in the rear window defogger circuit is approximately a 13 (AWG) gauge. The stranded wire that I used is slightly larger than the original wire. The smaller the AWG gauge number the larger the wire. Also, the yellow Tap-in connector I used is for 12-10 gauge wire. The wire it was used on was 13 gauge (slightly small). You can cut a six inch section out of the 2.5mm wire and replace that section with a 12 gauge section for a better connection if you want.

Basic Instructions: I spliced into the white wire on the blue connector T6c/pin4, attached an in line fuse holder, cut the black/blue wire on black connector T10l/pin9, attached the other end of the in line fuse holder to the black/blue wire that goes to E231 (switch for outside mirror heating).

Use Instructions at you own risk, donot attempt this If you donot have wiring diagrams, donot atempt this if you donot have experience working with wiring and electricity. Also, diagrams and instructions are for a 99, your car maybe different.

Tom

·
Registered
179 Posts
Perhaps you would like to inform the genius at VW who could not figure this out.
Thanks This should go in the Info section for future reference.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This mod only takes 15 minutes to do the actual re-wire. I used a infared thermometer to verify my mirrors were heating up. Also, you should have a digital volt meter to verify your connections. The wiring diagrams are basic and the diagrams discribe the location of the connectors that need to be modified.

You might ask yourself, are my heated mirrors ok? How do I remove my mirrors? The resistance of my new mirrors was approximately 7 ohms. The original drivers side mirror that didnot heat up at all measured 500 ohms. The passenger side heated up a little, it measured 100 ohms. I used a excellent write up in the information section that gave directions for removing and installing new mirrors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ms12339
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing