Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, have lived with my '04 1.8T for two weeks now. The automatic - (in deference to my wife - who does not drive a stick) was my compromise. Until now, I've driven almost exclusively stick shift cars. On some of these cars (ex. three used Porsche 911's over the past 15 years) I would still never consider an automatic.

However, on the Passat, I must admit the automatic is starting to "grow" on me. The transmission does not take a lot of time to "select" the proper gear when cornering. It appears the computer program (or whatever it is) seems to know which gear (depending upon vehicle speed and the throttle position when I step back on it) appears to always select the "right" gear - and if it is one gear too high - it quickly downshifts to the next lower gear.

When I go around a curve - and want to "push the envelope" I then use the Tiptronic - and select the proper gear - "downshifting" into the "right" gear before reaching the apex of the turn.

In all, a pleasant experience. I could grow to like it. And best of all, I can continue to sip my coffee from a cup while all this is going on (except for the "manual" downshifting part.

·
Registered
338 Posts
realbeentheredonethat said:
Okay, have lived with my '04 1.8T for two weeks now. The automatic - (in deference to my wife - who does not drive a stick) was my compromise. Until now, I've driven almost exclusively stick shift cars. On some of these cars (ex. three used Porsche 911's over the past 15 years) I would still never consider an automatic.

However, on the Passat, I must admit the automatic is starting to "grow" on me. The transmission does not take a lot of time to "select" the proper gear when cornering. It appears the computer program (or whatever it is) seems to know which gear (depending upon vehicle speed and the throttle position when I step back on it) appears to always select the "right" gear - and if it is one gear too high - it quickly downshifts to the next lower gear.

When I go around a curve - and want to "push the envelope" I then use the Tiptronic - and select the proper gear - "downshifting" into the "right" gear before reaching the apex of the turn.

In all, a pleasant experience. I could grow to like it. And best of all, I can continue to sip my coffee from a cup while all this is going on (except for the "manual" downshifting part.
I'm with you. The VW/Audi AT is very good in my mind. Sure, it's not as perfect as a good 5 spd, but for my real world driving in traffic on some steep hills, I'll take the AT anyday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Until two days ago we had 6 vehicles and none of them had an automatic transmission. My wife has complained for the last 6 months about trouble shifting a manual because of a knee problem. Her knee problem very recently got worse and she has not been able to drive at all. Not good.

There are only three current vehicles on the market I would be willing to purchase with an automatic transmission - two of them are way too expensive for us. The third is still more than I would like to pay but is doable. We bit the bullet and now we have one automatic. What is it? A new Passat TDI with the Tiptronic 5 speed (If I have to have an auto I really wanted the DSG but those are not yet available). We traded in our TDI 5spd manual 2002 Jetta and got the Passat. I didn't want another TDI Jetta with an auto since it would be too much of a fuel mileage decrease AND performance decrease from the manual Jetta. However, 134HP and 247lb-ft in the Passat are enough power to make the auto livable. It's actually pretty good. I would still prefer a manual but if I have to have an auto this is the way to go (aside from the DSG of course). BTW - the other two auto vehicles I would own are a Dodge Ram Diesel (600lb-ft) and the Toureg V10 TDI (553lb-ft).

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Dude get GIAC's Tip Chip then your car will shift insanly fast! Also get GIAC's ECU upgrade

I have both of those on my V6 and dam the sucker fly's now!

Rich

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Speed of shifting

One of my points was that my tranny does shift "quickly". I once owned a Mercedes S Class Turbo Diesel. That tranmission - which was controlled by various vacuum devices - shifted so slow that you had to anticipate any and all traffic before doing anything.

The Passat (at least so far) seems to (within a few tens of a second) pick the right gear to shift "down" into.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts

One of my points was that my tranny does shift "quickly". I once owned a Mercedes S Class Turbo Diesel. That tranmission - which was controlled by various vacuum devices - shifted so slow that you had to anticipate any and all traffic before doing anything.

The Passat (at least so far) seems to (within a few tens of a second) pick the right gear to shift "down" into.
And how old was that Merc?

The Merc is to the Passat as the Passat is to a good automatic.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I'm with you. Of course, considering this forum, no matter how much you say you like something, there will always be those telling you to shove in a Chip! :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I noticed recently that using Tip adds a few more MPG's than with automatic. It saves my brakes too if I downshift when coming to a stop. :thumbup: Yeah I'm sure this all common knowledge with you manual drivers, but I've never had a stick before, I've always bought my parents' cars and they always have auto. :oops:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
safetyfast said:
When driving my cars with manual transmissions, I don't downshift for a stop, since brakes are a lot cheaper than clutches.

A perfect example of why Americans can't drive nearly as well as Europeans (I'm talking in generals here). When I was learning to drive in England my Grandad almost threw me out of the car when I told him what you just said. You know what, after driving for almost 14 years (and a manual for most of those years) I realize he was right. BTW, you really aren't saving your clutch since holding it in for long periods will prematurely wear out the throw out bearing as oposed to the clutch face. FWIW, our 95 Jetta is still on it's original clutch (it's about to turn 138,000 miles) and my wife and I downshift before every corner, when coming to a stop and I even use the clutch to hold the car on a hill.

Paul :thumbup:

G

·
quality_sound said:
safetyfast said:
When driving my cars with manual transmissions, I don't downshift for a stop, since brakes are a lot cheaper than clutches.

A perfect example of why Americans can't drive nearly as well as Europeans (I'm talking in generals here). When I was learning to drive in England my Grandad almost threw me out of the car when I told him what you just said. You know what, after driving for almost 14 years (and a manual for most of those years) I realize he was right. BTW, you really aren't saving your clutch since holding it in for long periods will prematurely wear out the throw out bearing as oposed to the clutch face. FWIW, our 95 Jetta is still on it's original clutch (it's about to turn 138,000 miles) and my wife and I downshift before every corner, when coming to a stop and I even use the clutch to hold the car on a hill.

Paul :thumbup:
You can say what you like if you downshift and let the clutch shave the speed off instead of the brakes your clutch will not last long, he is right brakes are cheaper and as for engine braking to each his own! Just not me.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i havent driven an automatic ( - my gf hundyi) in a long time

i personaly wonder why they are around in the first place

stick are better all around except they lazy perspetive

and really after driving stick for llike a month or 2 its second nature anyway

·
Registered
338 Posts
crash893 said:

OK. I'll play. :) Other than a couple of MPG, how is a manual at all better for normal day to day driving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a convert too. My wife drives automatics only; and, the daily commute to and from downtown is very tiring with a clutch and a stick. I had to give up my Miata's short-throw shifter for a Passat Wagon's Tiptronic. Anywayz, if you think about it, F1 cars don't have clutches; hence, they are "automatics".

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
cerev1 said:
crash893 said:

OK. I'll play. :) Other than a couple of MPG, how is a manual at all better for normal day to day driving?
Call me stupid, but curious here as well.

Here's a short list, got some issue with lower back (slipped discs from previous car accident), knees in need of draining fluid (years of abuse from playing sports), weaken achille tendon (torn in half while playing B-ball & have been surgically reattached years ago), etc ... will stop here for now.

Disclaimer: leading to present & two previous cars that I own, all prior cars have been nothing but stick.

G

·
1. No waiting shift how you want when you want ...oh and downshift too!
2. cost effective...you ever repalce a automatic transmission....or a tip for that matter ouch
3. fun
4. fun
5. fun
6. fun
7. fun
8. fun
9. fun
10. fun............. :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.