Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a decision to re-place the original springs back on my 99 1.8t wagon- but keeping the Eibach shocks in place. I purchased the Eibach Pro Kit (springs and shocks) last year and although i thoroughly enjoyed its virtues- especially in the handling department- along the canyons and high speed treks across long smooth interstates-- i've decided that its not for my everyday driving to and from work. Faced w/ dreaded freeway indents, uneven concrete slab and so-so if not less than average quality roads that my car encounters everyday (and even on weekend trips) The ride can get tedious w/ the the Eibach system on my car. Don't get me wrong though, having rid of the squat, dive, and roll was a great experience..but i think i'm ready to go back to the smooth, 'floaty' feel of the stock suspension. I'm going to keep the Eibach shocks in place (as i cannot afford new shocks- bearing in mind that the shocks are far more expensive than the springs) Which brings me to inquire- is there a "negative" for having stock springs w/ Eibach shocks in place? Yes, i've 'read' from others that this may deteriorate the life of the shocks faster than having it coupled w/ the Eibach springs-- I can face that fact- BUT will there be some other Negatives that i should be concerned about?

Your experience, expertice, and explanation would be greatly appreciated..

P.S. Anyone recommends a place that would re-install my springs back for an affordable price range? (i live in the Simi VAlley area- work in the Santa Clarita area).

Thanks!!

Erick

·
Registered
697 Posts
Erick,
You might want to consider going back to something like an H&R OE Sport or 1BE spring. They are about 15% stiffer than stock, only lower the car about .75" and might be the middle of the road solution you can live with. See if you can locate a club memeber who has a set on so you can feel the ride. DONT DO IT MAN... dont go back to dive-squat-n-roll! :(

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The Eibach Shocks are shorter and matched with with the Eibach springs so I don't know what kind of ill effects you will have with Eibach shocks and stock springs. The deterioration you refer to are those that have used Eibach springs with stock shocks not the other way around.

BUT can you describe what you didn't like about the Pro-system, I live in NYC but want to get the Eibach setup. Is it not recommended? I see Bimmers with a similar drop from the factory everyday and they seem to be fine.

·
0 Posts
you obviously dont like a performance biased ride, you want something more cushy for your daily commute. with oem springs and aftermarket shocks, you will benefit from a plusher rebound, but the car will not be as stable as it was with the aftermarket spings. so in my opinion you will get a ride similar to what you had with no ill effects!

for the record its worth it to have a more stable ride, no brake dive, less body roll, more controlled sway. than to have a bouncy cushioned ride, but thats personal preference.

-steve

·
Registered
301 Posts
the eibach shocks are geared for use with a stiffer spring, meaning they will compress less often with the eibach spring. Use of a softer spring will subject the shock to more frequent use outside what it designed for (the shock/strut will compress more frequently). This can cause it to more ware on the shock to occur in a shorter amount of a time. also, you may have some wierd effects when going over bumps, because the shock will not rebound as fast due to the softer spring. id do it and hope for the best.

Conversly, if you have too stiff a spring with a softer shock, the spring will wear out (rather quickly sometimes) because the soft shock is forcing it to compress and extend more often and faster than it is designed to. This results in sagging and a bouncy ride.

this is just what ive heard/learned with my years driving the corrado. currently, im running too stiff a spring with a weak shock (HoR race w/ kyb gr-2) in the rear of the corrado.. and it is way to bouncy for my taste. just my .02.

-drew

·
Registered
234 Posts
NJRrado said:
Conversly, if you have too stiff a spring with a softer shock, the spring will wear out (rather quickly sometimes) because the soft shock is forcing it to compress and extend more often and faster than it is designed to. This results in sagging and a bouncy ride.

this is just what ive heard/learned with my years driving the corrado.
currently, im running too stiff a spring with a weak shock (HoR race w/ kyb gr-2) in the rear of the corrado.. and it is way to bouncy for my taste. just my .02.

-drew
???

It seems the shaft length is the only thing you really have to worry about.
I don't blame you for wanting a smooth ride.
Less creaks and rattles.
I use soft springs and stiff ant-roll bars and like that combo.
Also, your tires will influence the ride quality alot. Sidewall stiffness and air pressure adjust the spring rates on small bumps like expansion joints and on pavement with a coarse surface.
Try some tuning with the air guage.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate you all for the feedback--- although now i have mixed thoughts.. I do have a question that popped up in my mind when i read another post. But first, i live in Simi Valley area- and go to work in Sta. Clarita area (for those in the southern california area). its a 30 minute drive and can do a good 2-5 miles of uninterrupted 70-80 mph runs on some part of the way. There's a combination of concrete grooved slabs, black-top, and smoothed out concrete slabs.. The ride on the black top is good- and so as the 'smoothed'out concretes, but when it comes to grooved, concrete slabs, w/ uneven expansion joints (and those occassional patch-up work) the ride can be less than pleasurable (whereby more than half of my route everyday consists of). The ride can be tedious!!
Yes i can remember the squat and dive w/ the stocks-- but i lived w/ it for 4 years of owning my wagon...until i got the Eibachs last year (its a 99) we also have a V6 GLX on stocks which really rides soo very nice (although floaty, but rides like glass on most part of the same route..) THATs what i miss. And yes, perhaps i'm more keen on the original ride and not so inclined to sporty firm ride-- however, i wanted to see if my ride would improve so i bought the sport suspension on my wagon (i also live nearby a local canyon pass- which i do appreciate its virtues-- but its not like i drive on it everyday)
Although i'm just concerned w/ some possible negative handling effects if i reinstally the stock springs keeping the Eibach shocks. (If it will return it to the 'original' ride- then its fine w/ me, but if it's going to create a 'weird' behaviour- then i'd like to know about it and may reconsider)

On a related subject-- when i had the Eibach installed, i didn't really made any speical instructions to the installer (a reputable suspension, brakes, alignment, tire place near my work) Could there be a concern about "Bumpstop"? The car sits leveled- you know, not w/ the weird illusion that the rear is lower- nothing like that, so i assumed that its not sitting on the bumpstops that may be causing the less than expected ride quality. Or could it be? I dont feel that the car is 'bottoming out' its just a fare more bouncy ride- and too sensitive on bad, uneven roads. But if the bumpstops are a culprit- i'd like to know how to cut it, (how do i locate it, any pics?) maybe i'll try that before i reinstall the original springs..

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS..

erick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts