Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of any aftermarket RDS radios that will fit a Passat? I rented a car with that in it and it was really cool. I stopped in Circuit City and they don't carry any RDS radios. My favorite station doesn't support it yet, but some other statios I listen to do. Do the radios in the new VW's support it?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My Blaupunkt San Francisco CD-70 has RDS. It has been replaced by the CD-72. I think there are other radios offered by Blaupunkt that offer RDS.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
In the US RDS was all but non-existant up until a few months ago. I can't see it being a good thing to have either. I don't really car about having the artise and song title shown and I'd MUCH prefer people were concentrating on the road rather than reading their radio displays for song, ot God forbid, advertising info. :suspicio:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
621 Posts
My new baby-mobile (Chrysler Town & Country minivan) is RDS equipped. I too have noticed only a small number of stations support it.

TGH

·
Registered
222 Posts
My Blau Heidelberg CD 51 has it, and it's a perfect match with the dash lights.
Here in my country there's only one radio station that has RDS that I'm aware of... but it's useless.. some time ago they sent the song name, then later only advertisement, and now they send almost nothing.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
nikoz1200 said:
Yea the US is behind once again, just like with cell phones, compared to most of the rest of the world... Are we ever going to catch up ? :mad:

How could RDS be anything even remotely useable? If there are laws prohibiting me from watching movies in the car there should be laws against RDS. Can you imagine how many accidents would be caused, especially in the US with arguably the worst drivers in the world, by people watching their radios to get some stupid song information or worse yet, as advertisement? Talk about ass backward. Not you Nikoz, just the while beurocratic system.

·
Registered
591 Posts
nikoz1200 said:
Yea the US is behind once again, just like with cell phones, compared to most of the rest of the world... Are we ever going to catch up ? :mad:
While I agree with you on Cell phone technology, or the lack there of in the states...
Many European firms still supply cassette decks as standard equipment.

Hell my 2001.5 Passat didn't come with a cd player !

Well while we have to pay for it, XM and Sirrius blow traditional stations away. The selection with either network is vast.

Most GM products offer this as at least an option. VW is way behind on this one.

I ditched the stock head unit, installed the Pioneer DEH P7500-
This way I can have XM and MP3/WMA playback.
Yeah the display is more descriptive than a normal radio, but its not much more distracting than looking a any other display with numbers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
quality_sound said:
nikoz1200 said:

How could RDS be anything even remotely useable? If there are laws prohibiting me from watching movies in the car there should be laws against RDS. Can you imagine how many accidents would be caused, especially in the US with arguably the worst drivers in the world, by people watching their radios to get some stupid song information or worse yet, as advertisement? Talk about ass backward. Not you Nikoz, just the while beurocratic system.

I know what you mean... I sysmpathize with your worry about people not paying attention to what they are supposed to be doing while behind the wheel. RDS is nice though when you are in a new area and are looking for a certain type of music. In Germany, you don't even have to retune your radio when leaving a transmitter's range: the radio does it on its own (many stations are nationwide with multiple frequencies). Also, the radio automatically interups a tape or CD when traffic or news comes on a preselected station (this can be turned off thank god... but the tech is there).

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I always did like the Program Type function of RDS. It's very handy (if it's supported) but the idea that a driver doesn't have anything better to do than READ a scrolling (and very slow scrolling I might add) display with song info or an ad is just silly. It's different overseas since the drivers can actually drive, but in the states where the driver's ed system is a joke I think it's unnecessary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While riding around Germany over many years with Biz pals, I found the "original" Euro implementation of RDS to be pretty cool.

On the hour, unless overridden, the HU would come to life and announce Autobahn "incidents" and brief local news. In ways I would not have believed unless I saw them first hand, high speed crashes on the Autobahn, or dense fog, could shut down critical Autobahn stretches for up to ~8 hours, or overnight. Locals trained from Childhood would then know automatically to pull left, or pull right to stop, allowing Ambulances and flatbed Tow Trucks to proceed up the center line between the 2 lanes of now-parked traffic. Crashed Vehicles were often not driveable, and flatbed Tow Trucks were the standard in Germany long before I ever saw one here in the U.S.. Locals would pop open their trunks and would have these amazing "road kits", since they knew they could be parked for long periods. They had meals in Picnic Baskets, bottled water, stuff for keeping kids amused, and overnight blankets, etc..

~400' long skid marks, ending in a zone of crumpled metal median divider, made quite an impression on me, as did the unrecognizeable "Vehicles" that one would see being trucked away from the accident scene. In this motoring context, Euro RDS [no scrolling text ~1 decade ago] made a lot of sense.

Like the very advanced, voice-activated Hands Free Cellphone Kits they have in Europe - my last Corporate interest - the original RDS System allowed the HU to provide useful info while automatically retuning to new local frequencies of whatever station was tuned in while moving. The thinking was that minimizing Cockpit distractions was critical when covering ground quickly - possible only in certain Autobahn stretches - in a big Mercedes or Audi at ~240 kph [yep, ~150 mph].

Part of this Driving Culture "discipline", however, was to keep the roadways unbelieveably spotless of any debris, and to have mandatory, very pricy yearly Inspections of all Vehicles. Even Vehicle body rust was not allowed. Also, it was illegal and a Cultural "taboo" to ever pass on the right. So, one could always safely pass a Truck and change lanes to the right NOW in order to get out of the way quickly of a faster Vehicle bearing down on one's rear end with their large, auxiliary headlights flashing. An ~80 or ~100 mph differential when passing a Truck makes one swallow hard at first; it's a weird feeling. But, rigorous Driver discipline is what made it all work. Braking response and "fade" at 240 kph is a whole other matter...

German Driving Culture is another World, and I'm glad to have experienced it first hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts