Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, I've seen many different ways to add direct line level connections to the stock receiver.

I have a 2003 GLS with Monsoon. I would like to add XM radio without using an FM Adapter or Tape Adapter.
What I would like to do is find an adapter that I could connect to the back of the stock head unit, ther input for the CD Changer.

Now I know there are adapters that could connect to the CD Cahnger connection in the trunk, but I don't want that. I cut that wire harness off to use the 12V power when I first got thecar, I also see no reason to run a line level wire all the way to the back just to be run up to the front again.

So what I would like is an adapter to connect something (anything low level with RCA plugs) directly to the back of the stock head unit. I would also like to know if someone actually owns one and how it worked out for them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Paradigm said:
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, I've seen many different ways to add direct line level connections to the stock receiver.

I have a 2003 GLS with Monsoon. I would like to add XM radio without using an FM Adapter or Tape Adapter.
What I would like to do is find an adapter that I could connect to the back of the stock head unit, ther input for the CD Changer.

Now I know there are adapters that could connect to the CD Cahnger connection in the trunk, but I don't want that. I cut that wire harness off to use the 12V power when I first got thecar, I also see no reason to run a line level wire all the way to the back just to be run up to the front again.

So what I would like is an adapter to connect something (anything low level with RCA plugs) directly to the back of the stock head unit. I would also like to know if someone actually owns one and how it worked out for them.

Thanks.
I used to use the direct input unit from PIE (I think). At the time, they only had adapters for single DIN units and I had to "adapt". The unit worked just fine. I now use a blitzsafe trunk cable direct (not RCA) XM connector to my pioneer.

I know that blitzsafe makes an adapter for this application and you can get it from enfig.com.

IF you use an adapter, you must unplug the trunk connector from the back of the HU, so you will lose your trunk power. Thus, I would suggest you return your trunk harness to OE condition and use a trunk connector anyway and find a better power source for whatever is in your trunk. Where are you going to install the XM receiver except in the trunk anyway?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some units (like the Delphi for example) do not have a seperate "box" that needs to be mounted in the trunk or under a seat. Everything is fully contained in the control/display thingie you mount in your dash.

I'm not using that 12v power anymore so it's fine if I have to unplug the CD Changer wire from behind the receiver.

I'd really like an adapter that I could just plug into the back of the receiver, I hate the idea of running an RCA to the back just to have it come right back to the front. I'm anal about things like that :p

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Paradigm said:
Some units (like the Delphi for example) do not have a seperate "box" that needs to be mounted in the trunk or under a seat. Everything is fully contained in the control/display thingie you mount in your dash.

I'm not using that 12v power anymore so it's fine if I have to unplug the CD Changer wire from behind the receiver.

I'd really like an adapter that I could just plug into the back of the receiver, I hate the idea of running an RCA to the back just to have it come right back to the front. I'm anal about things like that :p
Forgot about the removable kits.

Well, you got a game plan...Now just execute.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I ordered the device that you pictured above. $65 is a little expensive, but better than using an FM Modulator. Now I just gotta play with the antenna and see where a good place to put it is. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Status Display Error after BlitzSafe Install

I did this install using the BlitzSafe adapter...aside from a few problems with the head unit clips it was pretty easy. The sound is great and not having an FM Modulator is even better.

QUESTION: for anyone else who has done this, my status display (picture of car between tach and speedometer) is now showing a constant fault on the hood. I can re-set the display, but its a nuisance. Has anyone else seen this and been able to fix it?

Thanks for any advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.